Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

boot scan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Naturenutt

Naturenutt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

When I use the boot scan I get alot of {zip archive is corrupted} and {CAB archive is corrupted} files. most of these are from a game that I have deleted a long time ago,I`ve used different scans hoping something would clean it up, but no results :( can anyone help please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,886 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

It is not unusual for an anti-virus or anti-malware scanner to having problems with or be suspicious of compressed, archived, .cab, .rar, .jar, .iso, and packed files because they have difficulty reading what is inside them. These kind of files often trigger alerts by security software using heuristic detection because they are resistant to scanning (difficult to read). This resistance may also result in some scanners to stall (hang) on these particular types of files or just ignore (skip) them. Certain files in the System Volume Information Folder like the Tracking.log (created by the Distributed Link Tracking Service to store maintenance information) have also been reported as a source causing some scanners to hang.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Naturenutt

Naturenutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:35 AM

Is it anything I need to worry about or do I just ignore it whenever I do boot-time scans? Thanks for your imput :thumbup2:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,886 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

If you recognize most of them as related to an old game you previously used and removed...you could ignore or just get rid of the files so they are not subject to the scan anymore.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Naturenutt

Naturenutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

I can`t seem to find the files anywhere unless I`m not looking in the right place..... thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users