Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External 750G WD HD says RAW - Testdisk shows files/folders but cant extract

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 sha661

sha661

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

My 2.5" 750G WD external harddisk shows RAW. No unusual sound, its run just like a normal operating harddisk, but harddisk just shows RAW when plug into the computer.

Manage to found this site:

http://html5.litten.com/how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/ and followed the instructions, creating a bootable CD with Parted Magic.

Here are the pictures in sequence

44783723.jpg

15083947.jpg

86503132.jpg

61900690.jpg

89919195.jpg

73170094.jpg

Type P than click enter

15326664.jpg

31413136.jpg

I can see my files and folder that store my data and information

type q than enter to quit

30907327.jpg

90051286.jpg

select Write than press enter

72930652.jpg

Type Y than press enter

68431835.jpg

press enter

86503132.jpg

it comes back to Analyse again. Here I select Quit and press enter

71630330.jpg

98572273.jpg

Click close

Than bottom left click to turn off the computer

97323669.jpg

Than boot up to windows but the external HD is still RAW.

Can anybody help? What should i do next.

Below is some information

• fdisk
  • Drive Health
    • Short Self-Test
    • Error Log
    • Attributes list

fdisk.jpg

fdisk - l

shortselftest.jpg

Short Self-Test

errorlog.jpg

error log

attributesq.jpg

Attributes list

Please help. Can someone tell me what should i do next. I need to get back my photos, videos, datas..............

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sha661

sha661
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:58 AM

Drive Health

drivehealth.jpg

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

Hi,

when you reach the point where you see a list of your files in testdisk, you can use c to copy the files to a different location. I would advise making a backup of your most important data first, before proceeding any further.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 sha661

sha661
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Yes, I tried that. When I do that, it give me an error, something like failure to copy.

Also When I click and open the mount Devices, I'm not able to unmount the Diskdrive as well. Nothing happens when I click the green MOUNT button next to my WD drive.

What else can i try? Is there anything I did wrongly?

#5 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

Hi,

where did you try to copy the files? Did you move away from the broken Hard drive?

You could also try using other programs to recover the data, such as Recuva: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

regards myrti

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#6 sha661

sha661
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

I copy from here

15326664.jpg

31413136.jpg

and also try to open the file manager and copy from there. Both have failure error.

#7 sha661

sha661
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:20 AM

Any solution that i can copy directly from the harddisk without losing the file name

#8 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:43 AM

Hi,

the question is not so much where you copy from but where you copy too. If you copy to the broken disk, then testdisk won't be able to write and fail. Make sure you navigate to a different drive to copy your things to.

Did you try recuva yet?

regards myrti

#9 sha661

sha661
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

Precisely. I have tried to copy to the computer itself or to another external harddisk. Both Failed.

Total i have 2 external harddisk plug into my computer before i Boot the computer with the PartedMagic CD. I'm able to unmount the Toshiba external harddisk but cannot unmount the RAW WD external harddisk.

I use it before, the recover data file names are gone, I need all the file name back.

#10 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:33 AM

Hi,

you could try PC Inspector or check if there are other app's listed here that may do what you need: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/366982/freeware-replacements-for-common-commercial-apps/

regards myrti

#11 sha661

sha661
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

It only state recovers files with the original time and date stamp but not file name

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

Hi Sha661

I've been very busy lately and haven't been here much. Do you still need help with this issue?

James

#13 sha661

sha661
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

Hi James

Yes.I really need your help. Really Appreciate your precious time from your tight schedule.

Sha

#14 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

No problem, I like tough puzzles :)

I think that you can have some success with imaging that drive with GNU ddrescue and then attempt the recovery from the image.

There is physical damage to the drive and it may be getting worse with everything you try..

Here are some questions that I'd like answers for.

When you were working in TestDisk attempting to copy files to another drive, did you mount the drive that you were copying to and then attempt to copy to the mounted drive's directory?

/media/sda1 for example.

Is the drive still in its original enclosure?

Do have another drive with 825GB of free space on it that we can put the image on (I like the image size 750GB plus 10% or  75GB just to be comfortable).?

ddrescue may need to run for 10 + hours for that drive. Possibly days but you can stop and resume it at will. While it runs, you shouldn't be doing anything else with the computer. Are you cool with that?

James

EDIT: Thanks Myrti, please continue to participate if you see anything to add.

Edited by James Litten, 26 April 2013 - 09:56 PM.

#15 sha661

sha661
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

Here are some questions that I'd like answers for.

When you were working in TestDisk attempting to copy files to another drive, did you mount the drive that you were copying to and then attempt to copy to the mounted drive's directory?

/media/sda1 for example.

How to do that?

This is what I did. Use the up down cursor to highlight the folder/file, press c than press enter button. Use cursor to highlight where to copy to, press c again.

Anything that i did wrongly?

12346725.jpg
Is the drive still in its original enclosure? Yes

Do have another drive with 825GB of free space on it that we can put the image on (I like the image size 750GB plus 10% or  75GB just to be comfortable).? No problem, I can get It.

ddrescue may need to run for 10 + hours for that drive. Possibly days but you can stop and resume it at will. While it runs, you shouldn't be doing anything else with the computer. Are you cool with that? No Problem, show me how to do it. Any preference to do it with Window XP OS or Window 7 OS?

Thank You

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users