Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any point of Metro/Tiles screen without a touchscreen?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SoXfused

SoXfused

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

I've been using Windows 8 for a week and a half now, and even after viewing some YouTube tutorials on Windows 8, I still have some questions: Is the Metro/Tile screen pointless if you don't have a touchscreen? I don't have a touchscreen on my laptop, and even if I did, I wouldn't use it because 1) I don't want fingerprints on my screen and 2) I prefer using my mouse.  In any case, I'm trying to figure out if the tiles can still benefit me if I don't have a touchscreen.  For the most part, I find myself pressing the Windows key and working on the desktop instead like I've always done.

Another question is how come when I go into Internet Explorer 10 on the desktop, it looks like the usual IE (web address bar on top, favorites, etc), but when I go into Internet Explorer on the Metro/Tile screen, it looks very minimal and different (a black web address bar on the bottom of the page)?  Is there a reason I'd want to use the latter?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions and giving me any tips you might have.  I really do want to take advantage of the benefits of Windows 8, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what those benefits are.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

All metro apps are optimized to work with touch screen. Although you can operate those with a keyboard and mouse it is not that easy. If you prefer you can completely avoid metro apps and metro screen by installing any of the free "start menu" programs like 'Classic Shell' or 'IOBit start menu'.

For using classic shell  visit http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-menu-in-windows-8-with-classic-shell/

For using IOBit start menu visit http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php

I personally use IObit start menu and it is more closer to Win 7 start than classic shell. But classic shell offers XP style start menu and that is the choice of many others.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 16 April 2013 - 08:21 AM.

#3 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 10:35 AM

All metro apps are optimized to work with touch screen. Although you can operate those with a keyboard and mouse it is not that easy. If you prefer you can completely avoid metro apps and metro screen by installing any of the free "start menu" programs like 'Classic Shell' or 'IOBit start menu'.

I'd like to know what you find so 'difficult' about operating apps with a mouse and keyboard.  Don't have a touch screen and have no desire to get one and apps work just fine.  Granted, a few apps may be aimed at those with touch screens, but haven't run across one yet.  Don't mislead people.

#4 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

The metro start screen is good for limited users who like to get to a few common apps quickly - think cell phone users.  And now you are forced there if you are going to play solitaire and mahjong.  The metro IE is more usefully for touchscreen operation if you aren't using touch it most likely will not appeal to you.

I would say the biggest future use for win8 is going to be the 'store' which will track purchases and supposedly make re-installing windows and all your software less troublesome in the future.

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

Hi jfruch1

Everyone knows 'Metro' is optimized for touch screen. It is not my personal opinion. I work as a PC tech so it is easy for me to collect user feedback. So far 90% of my clients hates modern UI for their regular Laptops and Desktops. For those who use a very few apps for just browsing net and playing movies modern UI is not a problem. If you are  having a lot off apps and you are a business user you will definitely miss the good old start menu. That is my whole point. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 25 April 2013 - 10:59 PM.

#6 Dalilb

Dalilb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

It's exactly why Metro apps that is used for playing media is horrible for desktop users. They are designet for a mobile device that have buttons for setting volume, so microsoft has chosen to avoid a volume control in the media app ... Not very intelligent from a desktop pov. Even from a mobile device pov, microsofts own metro media player got to be the worst player that exist on the net, no volume control, bad control of forward/rewind, only 1 file can be opened at a time. yes it can play a file .. but why Microsoft has chosen to ship a system that they want to promote as the "future" with apps that just barely meet the most basale needs is beyond me.

But as for what was asked, I personly havn't disabled metro on my desktop pc, but I use it 99% of the time as a Win 7 from the desktop. The metro interface is only usable for machines where you set up limited user policies for access. If you want to use Windows 8 on a desktop PC as a Desktop system, there really isn't any point in using Metro. 

The real question is then do you need Windows 8 at all if you have a usable Windows 7 System that you don't plan to dish ?

Personly i say to all people that ask me, only choose a Windows 8 if you buy a new machine. There's not any point in upgrading a usable win 7 desktop system to win 8.

Edited by Dalilb, 06 May 2013 - 08:58 AM.

#7 djmathias

djmathias

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:30 PM

I don't have a touch screen and enjoy Win 8/ Metro very much..love my mouse and could never see using a pc by touchscreen unless on a tablet or phone. I use the start8 classic shell since I am a fan of having a start menu..something Microsoft thought not needed. silly them..

#8 ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:40 AM

I keep reading the great reviews of Win8 especially when it's taken back to the Win7 UI.  I agree.  Too bad Win7 SP2 didn't have the superior driver-loading.  I have difficulties needing to load add-on's to go back to Win7 when Win8 promises/threatens such a future.  Load in a new Search add-on that takes us back to WinXP Search abilities that lets me find any certain file on any certain drive.  Load in old themes to find a way to re-color screen elements that are visible according to individual user's eyesight.  This isn't Steps Forward, A Step Back.  This is more like One Step Forward, then take 3 Steps Back.

But at least we can see cute dance videos around picnic tables showing how productive we can be!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users