Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware bytes HELP!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bob2013

Bob2013

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

I had random programs beinging deleted every once in a while on my computer so i ran malware bytes and it said 11,000 files were infected with a trojan downloader.er!!! I have norton internet security and it found nothing. Anyway i thought it would fix the problems but the files that were infected were all random. Obviously the virus was there for a long itme and got into a bunch of stuff. But malwarebytes deleted files that are needed to run windows and other programs like my internet browser, itunes, steam etc. Is there a way to get rid of the virus without deleting the files? Please help because if they have to be deleted im going to have to have to restore everything to get windows working.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

Hello, do you have that MBAM scan log to review?

• The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Bob2013

Bob2013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

I don't have the log anymore. I had to restore my drive to an earlier image becuase a lot of programs were broken. Malwarebytes was installed on that drive so it reverted to the previous version without the log. When i did run the scan i just updated it to the latest version. I have windows 7 home. Is there a program that will delete the virus not the files? If there is nothing you can do without the log i will run the scan again but it will take about two hours.

#4 Carlos28355

Carlos28355

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:32 PM

it was a false positive...mbam had a bad update..log into safemode w networking updat mbam if you can..then make sure only have 4/15/13 in date of your quarantined then restore all files back then restart should be good

#5 Bob2013

Bob2013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:47 PM

What do you mean by false positive? Were the files not infected? MBAM bleeped up man, i thought to restore the files too but i had to undo the system restore i just did so i can get back to the latest version of mbam but one of the files it deleted was an mbam file so it doesn't even start anymore. But tell me do you think the files weren't infected? I have norton internet security running and it ususally finds and stops all the viruses i have before they get in. Do you think Norton couldn't find a trojandownloader? It has blocked trojans before so i would expect it to be able to stop this one too. Im probably just gonna back up files that aren't infected and then reset my computer to factory settings but if they not infected i could just backup everything and reinstall watever got deleted.

#6 Bob2013

Bob2013
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

Nevermind i see what you mean, latest update made mbam mark crtical files as viruses. bleep this program :(. At least i know i didn't have any viruses.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Hello,
I'm sorry to hear about this problem. Malwarebytes posted general information and recovery steps for all its customers here: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=125138

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users