Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hp pavilion a712n wont display properly when I load windows 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shashman

shashman

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:34 PM

The computer originally had windows xp on it.  I got fed up with windows xp so when windows 7 was out, I wanted to load it with windows 7.  I upgraded the memory to 1 GB, and then started the process of loading windows 7.  The installation seemed to go okay up until the last time the computer automatically had to reboot.  Until then the display was fine and everything appeared normal.  But after the last time the computer rebooted itself, the display became black with a couple of colored pixels showing.  Just to make sure the graphics card wasn't bad, I reloaded windows xp, and the display worked fine all the way even after xp was loaded.  so why is the display acting weird whn I try to load windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:52 AM

Weird. Well I'm glad your graphics card isn't fried though, the last time I saw colored pixels all over was when I killed my 8800GT. So your rig meets all of the minimum requirements for Windows 7? This includes a 1 GHz CPU, 1 GB of memory, 16 GB's of HDD space, and a video adapter with 128 MB's of memory that supports DirectX 9.

What kind of graphics card are you using? You can check your card against the Hardware Compatibility List at http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compatibility/win7/CompatCenter/Home .

Windows 7 should be installing the Standard VGA video driver during the instillation. It's a stock driver that allows you to have a 800x600 resolution until you can download the actual driver for you card after you've finish installing Windows. It kind of sounds like the driver isn't working with your card. If you go to http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor you can download the Upgrade Advisor Tool. It should be able to tell you if any of your system components wont be able to run Windows 7.

Hope that helps.

#3 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Thanks Ill go download the advisor.  From the list that you said that the computer needs to have the only thing that the computer doesnt have is a video adapter with 128  MB of memory.  Is there any workaround or can I not install windows 7 to this computer at all?

#4 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

Those are the minimum hardware specs listed by Microsoft, but I believe the video adapter requisite is to run Windows Aero, which controls a handful of visual enhancements. If you're running graphics through your motherboard or don't meet that minimum at worst it should just load the Windows Basic theme, where you would have those solid pastel blue colored taskbar and start menu like in previous versions of Windows. I think you should still be able to run Windows 7, but I'm not %100 percent certain and need to check into that.

Edit: Some Windows 7 users have reported being able to run Win 7 with integrated graphics and 64 MB's of video memory.

Edited by AdagioBoognish, 16 April 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#5 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

ya i dont really care about aero and all those fancy graphics.  Im fine with the standard windows driver.  But all I get is the colored pixels after the screen that says 'windows is updating registry settings'.  Up unitl that point everything is okay.

I have the integrated graphics on this computer.  If I install another video card , would the display default to using that graphics card and work properly?  Or is there a way with the current configuration to somehow set the video capability to using the standard video driver that windows loads, cause right now Im getting pixels which mean that the standard graphics driver isnt working with this windows 7 either.  Whats going on, can I do anything to fix it

This mobo can take a pci video card.  if I install a pci video card that has 128 or more MB then will the display start working properly?  I, looking at some pci video cards, what does it mean when the descriiption says 1gb pc3 memory or 512 mb ddr2 memory.  How do I know what will work with my system

Edited by shashman, 17 April 2013 - 07:57 PM.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

If your MOBO do have a PCI express slot, you can buy a cheap graphics card like Nvidia 610 and solve the issue. Normal PCI display cards are not compatible with 7.

Also try Win8 30 day evaluation. Basic display adapter driver of Win8 is more compatible to old hardware than Win7 counterparts. It can provide basic 3D acceleration for legacy hardware.

#7 shashman

shashman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:57 PM

This darn tootin mobo just has PCI slots.  When I look at PCI video cards, they say something like 128MB DDR or 256MB DDR2 or 1GB DDR3.  What does this mean and how do I know if these cards will work with my mobo?

Also, is there a way to load windows7 but still have the video card working with xp compatibiity so that it works normally.  Or can I somehow specify that I dont want the windows 7 to load a graphics driver?  At the same time, I dont know if it is the windows 7 driver that causing issues cause when I try to boot up in safe mode, the same thing happens, and the display again shows the dreaded colored pixels scattered on the screen

#8 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Sorry I haven't had more time to look into this. So I don't really think it's an issue with your on-board graphics. Like you said, everything is running fine up until the Windows 7 install tries to update the registry. I'm try to figure out if at that point Window installs a driver or something that isn't compatible with your system or if you have a bad install dvd which is causing the problem. Windows defaults to it's basic theme if you cannot run Aero, and other Windows 7 users have been able to install it using their on board graphics, so that's not an issue either. I can't say for sure whether or not a graphics card would solve your problem. Yours sounds like a pretty uncommon problem so hopefully someone that has ran into this before will post on here. In the mean time I'll keep looking for ways to continue troubleshooting this and let you know if I find any.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users