Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going Back To Win 7

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

After spending one month of fighting with Windows 8, I've decided to go back to Windows 7.

I really love to fight computers, and I've been doing so since 1999.

I've come to the conclusion that Windows 8 is akin to Windows ME.

Too many problems. I tackled 98% of them, but uncle already.

Windows 7 is the best. It's Vista without the bugs. Windows 8 is all about comprimise and being secure to a fault.

Frank O' The Mountain
Doing more stupid before 5AM than most people do all day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:30 AM

Microsoft is currently in the works of an OS code named 'BLUE'. Rumors are strong that it will introduce a re designed metro and may completely remove the desktop interface. While the existence of 'Blue' is confirmed by MS they neither accepted nor rejected the rumors. A leaked beta includes desktop so at least we might be able to use 'Classic shell' with that.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 16 April 2013 - 08:35 AM.

#3 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

In an office enviroment Windows 8 will be a train wreck. So much lost productivity it would be a business disaster. So I don't see businesses moving to it in any version. Personally, I think it's time for Steve Ballmer to step down. He's leading Microsoft in the wrong direction.

#4 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:19 AM

Agreed with your sentiments jmtjet.

I too have tried my best to learn, adapt, and work with Win8 on one of my home pc's for several months now. But, since I just got the system cleaned up from a ton of viruses my son unfortunately obtained from peer to peer mp3 file sharing (and he knew that he wasn't supposed to do that, and did it anyways-hence indefinite ban on said computer), the system files are all jacked up. I have tried several of the fixes provided by some of the help here, but still to no avail. I also tried to redo system security updates etc. System Restore is messed up, the freeware utilities to try and fix this are really not free. What a headache! Win 8 does not recognize all of the gtx video hardware line, and it is not really efficient for games either. I never had these problems with Win 7 or XP. If there were no Win 7, I would just use XP.

This system is nothing more than an elaborate OS for a tablet. Unfortunately, it just does not quite transfer over to the PC very well at all.

Windows 7 to the rescue!
hYlAnDeR~TFC~
[OF/FA] Orion Faction-Retired
Game Squad Fleet Admiral~Retired

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

For me, its a great example of a company trying to innovate and get ahead of everyone else, but doing so in a way that alienates people from their product and leaves them with some massive confusion. Windows is so common because A. its run on many machines direct from OEM, and B. because its pretty easy to use and everyone is used to it because of A. Take away B which they have done, and you have something people don't want to learn. Microsoft went to fast, and tried to fall into a place where they should have eased into instead of radically redesigning the user interface and dropping it into consumers laps and saying run with it. As for bugs, I really haven't seen many, interesting though to see someone dislike it because of bugs instead of its UI. Just my thoughts. :)

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#6 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

I have been stuck with Win 8 on my work laptop and while I am getting the hang of it I still hate the UI.  The one bug I have found is that I randomly have BSOD on it when it is doing nothing but sitting there.  I have never been using it when this happens it is just idling along, maybe playing spotify music, and when I come back it is either in BSOD awaiting reboot or has rebooted from it.  Since I cannot replicate the problem or find any consistency to it and it hasn't interrupted my work at all I haven't put a lot of work into finding the cause. (its rather hard to find a solution when you can't make the problem happen)  This only happens maybe once or twice a month.  All in all I can chalk up the BSOD on occasion to a new os with some bugs but I hate it cause of the UI.  Wish I could go back to 7 but don't have that option here.

#7 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

I had several programs that worked in Win7 that would not install on 8, no matter what. The security stuff was driving me crazy. Yes computer, it's me.....and I'm allowed to do stuff, ok? Believe me, I can spend hours and hours on one silly little problem without freaking out, but after all the tweaking, it did not seem much different than win7, except for the new problems.

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 24 April 2013 - 11:22 AM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#8 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 PM

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

I feel that after putting classic shell on win8 and getting a start button back that very little is different... I don't like a full sidebar pop out to select wireless networks but I can live with it.

But as to the op I feel it is rather silly that I have to go to third party to fix functionality of windows.  Windows 8 on a touchscreen is fun but on nontouch it leaves much to be desired.

#9 thehandyman77

thehandyman77

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

I started with an Atari 800 and Win 8 is the worst OS I've experienced. Loved XP and transition to 7 went well BUT this abomination is almost enough to make me lose my religion!  How can you go back to Win 7 without lining Bill Gates' pockets even more?

#10 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:05 PM

I was just saying that I was considering going back to XP now. I did Windows 7 64 bit this time, and that presents a whole new set of headaches. Much of it is with software though. I don't know.... I still have lots of programs that are 32 bit which I love.

Many new problems that I never had to consider back in the XP days. If this is what I get for all of our technological advancements, I think I prefer being an XP caveman. :smash:

Frank O' The Mountain

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:49 PM

Hi FrankOtheMountaiN

Why don't you try Win 7 32 bit ? . XP is 12 years old and vulnerable to security loopholes. MS can't support it till their death.

If your softwares works fine with Win 7 32 you can use the same product key to activate it.

#12 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

I don't understand what "problems" you have.  I upgraded my dell Latitude E6530 from 7 to 8 64 bit, and while some software that worked on Windows 7 does not work on Windows 8, it's nothing to cry over.  Come on, guys, accept change and move on.  If you do not accept change, then you will be left behind, or if you're unhappy with Microsoft, use Linux for goodness sakes.  Most of the problems I've had have to do with certain games, and while it would be nice to be able to play them on Windows 8, the company who created them is closing down, so there's kind of nothing I can do.  There is one problem I have where even though I've unhidden the logon/logoff sounds in the registry and have them showing in the control panel with sounds set up for them, the sounds never play, though I think that's a repeat of the Windows 7 bug where there is a sound for system notifications, though it never plays because Microsoft forgot about it. 

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

#13 FrankOtheMountaiN

FrankOtheMountaiN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 514 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

No, you don't understand my problems (without quotes), and I'm not going to spend 8 hours detailing them for you. You can marginalize them in your mind if you wish, but they are real and many, and I've spent a long time trying to remedy them (with success most of the time). Like I said, I like to troubleshoot Windows, and have spent countless years doing so. I use Linux too. I'm not one to complain much, but I thought it was appropriate in this case. Linux is not always a walk in the park, and the software is very limited compared to Windows. I don't just do email, play games, and surf the internet. I do audio and video production, among other things. I suppose I should've just gotten used to Vista too? The OS is a mess. If this is the "future", I will gladly be "left behind".

Edited by FrankOtheMountaiN, 04 May 2013 - 02:17 PM.

Frank O' The Mountain

#14 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 05 May 2013 - 12:53 AM

I just want to pop in here and say that I currently am using Windows XP Professional on my laptop {even to write this right now in fact} and it is quite stable for me. I do not plan on ever getting Windows Eight, I do not like the look of it, even with the classic shell and registry tweaks to make it more like Seven when it is a completely new system.

Instead When I must get a new machine, the first thing I am going to do is go to my local computer chopshop and actually ask them to completely whipe the system drives and the like and install Windows 7, or better yet, Windows XP Pro. There is no way in hell I am going to go Windows Eight. Even though I wonder very much what the new service pack "Windows Blue" is going to bring

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#15 rezfrog

rezfrog

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

I completely understand where you're coming from... I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm about ready to give MacOS a shot -- MS has really disappointed me lately :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users