Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update 2823324: Uninstall even if my laptop boots ok?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Platform:  Windows 7 64 bit, SP 1
I hope I am not asking a silly question. I have booted my laptop many times since update 2823324 was installed. I realize that Microsoft is recommending that this update be uninstalled. But since my philosophy is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and since my laptop boots fine, should I uninstall this update anyway? Or should I leave it in place?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

When quietman 7 posted that he unintalled it, and had not had a problem with the update, I uninstalled also. MS is not sure of the cause of the issue and I differed to a higher power. No issue with the uninstall or after...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:30 AM

I haven't had a problem with it either so I left it alone. I saw a report that the update problem could be only for Kaspersky AV users.

#4 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

Didn't automatically uninstall that update. Went on to gather as much info as possible about related issues and consequences, However after reading quietman7 comments discretion is the better part of valor. BTW since MS announcement there have been several security-related updates that I suspect have to do with this subject.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,395 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

...Contrary to some reports, the system errors do not result in any data loss nor affect all Windows customers. However, all customers who have installed security update 2823324 should follow the guidance that we have provided in KB2839011 to uninstall it...

KB2839011 Released to Address Security Bulletin Update Issue
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

I went ahead and uninstalled 2823324. A bit nerve wracking -- after the uninstall when the laptop was rebooted, the message "configuring our machine - do not shut it off" was on the screen for 25 minutes. But have rebooted several times after the uninstall with no problems.

Frankly, Microsoft should have included a feature in Windows Update to  uninstall an update. The vast majority of folks will never learn of the need to uninstall this update, nor will they understand how to do the uninstall.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,395 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

There are several ways to Uninstall a Windows Update in Windows 7. These are the two easiest,

Option 1: Through Windows Update
1. View the Windows Update History.
2. Click on the Installed Updates link at the top of the View update history window.
3. Select a listed Windows Update that you want to uninstall, and click on the Uninstall toolbar button.
4. If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes or enter the administrator's password.
5. When done, close the Installed Updates window.

Option 2: Through "Installed Updates" in Programs and Features
1. Open the Control Panel (All items view), and click on the Programs and Features icon.
2. In the left pane, click on the View installed updates link.
3. Select a listed Windows Update that you want to uninstall, and click on the Uninstall toolbar button.
4. If prompted by UAC, then click on Yes or enter the administrator's password.
5. When done, close the Installed Updates window.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users