Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MSi U270 laptop not booting up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ryhryh

ryhryh

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

hi so my laptop is fairly new got it in 2011, all of a sudden it started moving very slowly and then after awhile probably a couple weeks when tyring to start it it just showedd me a black screen saying checking disc it went on and on and on and on until i gave up, i brought it to a technician and he removed the hard drive and he said he is seeing the files but he can't access them,i got back the laptop today and turned it and its STILL checking disc right now its at (83457 of 197888 file records processed) since after 11 this morning its 5:30 in the afternoon now. its also saying deleting corrupt file attribute record 128... what in the world does that mean???? its also saying fle record segment (different numbers) is unreadable.... sighhhhh i need these files they are pix n videos of my pregnancy and birth pf my daughter, the only copies, im a new mom so its really stressing me out.... my question is; can it be fixed and if so, how? and if so will i get back majority if not all my files?????? im freaking out. help HELP!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:08 AM

You can purchase an external enclosure for your hdd at Newegg for $8.99.

If you provide me with the make and model of this laptop I will provide you with a tutorial for removing you hdd.  The external case comes with instructions, it really is simple.

In order to simplify the following, open Computer to see what drives are already showing, write the drive letters down so you have a reference.

Once you have the hdd installed connect it via the USB cable, right click on the Start startorb_zps06e1f985.png then click on Open Windows Explorer.  Navigate to your hdd , the drive which isn't on the list you made, and find the Documents and Settings folder. Copy it to your desktop. This folder contains all music, documents, videos, pictures, downloads, etc...

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ryhryh

ryhryh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

hi thanks so much for responding  im not real certain on the tech talk but ill take a go, its an MSi U270 the model number is MS-1245.... so ur saying i cud directly connect an usb to the hrad drive n transfer docs??

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

To see what drives you have listed in Computer go to the start orb  startorb_zps06e1f985.png and then click on Computer in the right side column.

When it opens you will see something similar to the picture below.

computer2_zps71438a0e.png

I've highlighted the word Computer and the different drives in red.  Please make a list of the different drives on the computer you will be copy the data with so that you can easily find your hdd, it will be the only new addition.

Once you have removed the hdd (hard drive) you will see that the are two male connectors on the hdd, and two female connectors inside the laptop.  The case that you will purchase has the same two female connectors, the hdd slides into these connectors.

The case comes with a usb cable which will connect to the case at one end and a usb port on the computer.

There is no such thing as a silly or dumb question, so please feel free to ask if you need help understanding any of this.

You can find a tutorial for removing the hard drive here.  This has step by step instructions with pictures.

Before you touch anything inside the case touch something metal within reach of where you will be removing the hard drive to discharge any static electricity that is in you body, electrostatic discharges can kill board components.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ryhryh

ryhryh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:00 AM

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP!! im going to try this and see what happens, i will order the case u mentioned, the newegg and follow the tutorial... i find it funny tht the technicians where im from are telling me the info is gone and there is no way to get it off and yet you're telling me i can.......i will try and see what happens and let you know.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:29 AM

There is the chance that you will not be able to retrieve the data on the hdd if it is too badly damaged, but in most cases this can be accomplished.  I don't know what their base level their knowledge of computers is, or how they tried to locate these files, this coupled with the personal importance these pictures are to you I feel that nine dollars plus shipping is a small price to pay to try to retrieve them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users