Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connecting smartphones to projectors

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ECTech99

ECTech99

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

Hi All,

Our organization currently uses laptops and projectors to give presentations. Some people would like to give presentations directly from their smartphones/tablets instead. Our projectors are either VGA, or VGA and HDMI. I've looked a fair bit online, but I can't find any definitive answers as to which cables are needed, or if it's even actually possible.

What I do know is that Apple makes a cable that should do the job for VGA and for HDMI (VGA is an adapter and must have a DAC in it), but I'm getting conflicting information about Android devices. At this point we have no Blackberry users.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Edited by hamluis, 19 April 2013 - 03:40 PM.
Moved from External Hardware to Cell Phones - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

For apple devices, they do sell adapters that will work just fine for what you are trying to do. As for android devices, you would have to look around, since the devices are varied, and output is dependent on what the manufacturer has built into the device. Probably would be easier if you had the people with android devices get their own adapter, since most are pretty inexpensive. :)

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:47 PM

For Apple devices, there are certainly either 30 pin dock connector or Lightning adapters to either VGA or HDMI.

The other option is connecting an Apple TV to the projector and then using AirPlay from the iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini, or iPod Touch. This option would mean that you would not need to actually hook anything directly up to the iOS device.

For BOTH options, the only possible limitation would be whether or not the App they want to use will support video output from the 30 pin dock connector or the Lightning connector...or support AirPlay either directly or in "mirror" mode. If they are using Keynote for iOS, then it should work fine...but they might be using something else.

For Android, as the other poster mentioned, you likely will have to look to the specific device as to what kind of video out options it might have. I can say that if an Android device has a video, they do tend to be either microHDMI or miniHDMI, but I have seen a few that use the headphone jack to essentially give you an RCA composite video output (by way of an adapter). I am less familiar with how well various applications work with any video output ports (my Evo 4G died about two years ago, so it has been a while since I "played" with Android...it was replaced with an iPhone 4s).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users