Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AnalyzerCache.dat in hidden, numbered folders

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lebowitz IT Services

Lebowitz IT Services

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

I'm posting this here mainly because I don't know where else it would make sense to post a question like this.

Every day - sometimes several times in a day - a new, hidden, folder with a long number for a name (e.g., 23471883120156218) appears in my My Documents folder. Each of these numbered folders contains a single file named AnalyzerCache.dat. The AnalyzerCache.dat files are small, generally under 20kB, and contain some sort of binary data. I see the folders because I have Windows Explorer set to display hidden files and folders.

This has been going on since the day I bought my computer, back in January, 2012, and has had me curious ever since. The folders and files are harmless enough, and I can (and do) delete them freely with no ill effects observed. But I would really like to know what's creating them in the first place.

The computer is a Micro Center PowerSpec B322 running Windows 7 64-bit. There's nothing special about it, and I run all of the same utility software and most of the same application software on my laptop, which does not collect these AnalyzerCache.dat files.

Does anyone know what creates these files and how I can get it to stop?

Mark Lebowitz

Chicago, IL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

Since this has been occurring since the first day you used the machine, most likely its related to a program preinstalled by PowerSpec when building the computer. It's not unusual for manufacturors to include some software you may not be familar with since you did not install it.

I never heard of that particular .dat file...you may want to ask PowerSpec PC Systems: Support what is creating the file.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users