Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best operating systems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jimvt

jimvt

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:06 AM

Is there a good review of available operating systems somewhere on the site?

I've spent days trying to install Linux with no luck.

Edited by hamluis, 15 April 2013 - 05:41 PM.
Moved from XP to Linux - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

Which distro of Linux do you want to install ?. What is main the purpose of your computer ?.

Linux comes in a wide variety of choice from different distro makers. There is specialized distros which targets multimedia, education, science , CAD work, Audio-Video editing etc. There is also different styles of desktop interface which may confuse a first time user. If you can clarify your motive i can suggest a good distro suited for you. 

This small guide may help you to choose the OS of your flavor :   http://www.labnol.org/software/best-linux-distros/12757/

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 15 April 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:44 PM

Good questions, Anshad Edavana....

It would help us to recommend a Linux distro to you if you would give some info on the computer

you want to install Linux on. For instance brand and model, present OS and if you intend to dual boot

or not, if the comp was custom built then list it's hardware.

Did you first attempt to run the Linux OS as Live without installing?  That is the best thing to do to

determine if you and your computer are compatible with the Linux distro.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 jimvt

jimvt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Thanks, Folks:

I'm using an Emachine T4697, 2.60g Pent4, 8kb  primary mem. cach, 512 kb secondary, 80g Hard drive w/ 60g free.

I'd like to try a simple version of Linux for home use to get away from XP Home which is app. going bye-bye soon.

I tried Fedora w/o success and I just tried the Live w/o installing but couldn't get it to work.

Any help appreciated

#5 pane-free

pane-free

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

Up to 2GB PC2700 DDR RAM, according to specs -- how much is in you machine?  First thing calling me is RAM upgrade if presently one gig or less -- max it out with something like one of these pairs.

Vector Linux 7.0 - Light  is simple to use, stable and useful on older machines like yours. I recommend it in your case.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W. C. Fields

#6 res45

res45

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

I'm running Linux Mint 11 on an old AOpen PC 700+ Mb Ram 40 GB HDD P4 processor.  Works like a charm and had no issues other than the distro is out of date and I have to download and update some programs I like manually but thats not been a big issue,I do pretty much anything I can do on windows.

Main Desktop

Radio_051_zpsd0fa24c7.jpeg

Edited by res45, 16 May 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#7 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

Good reviews of 5 "light" Linux distros here: http://thelinuxsite.wordpress.com/2013/01/17/top-5-lightweight-linux-distros-for-older-pcs/

Lubuntu is their choice ... but I like/use Crunchbang!

#8 jimvt

jimvt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Thanks for the help, folks.

I dl'd an updated UBUNTU and got it installed....finally.

Looks good but slow so I'm checking the forums for speedups.

'preciate it.

JD

#9 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

jimvt,

I agree with the suggestion of more ram.  the more ram, the better everything works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users