Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ctrl + Alt + Delete For Log On

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 knownotalot

knownotalot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:41 PM

I have a laptop computer that used to be part of a LAN but no longer is part of that network.
The OS is XP Professional.
On boot up it displays the screen "press CTRL+Alt+Delete to logon" Then asks for user name, password, and domain. I can log on as administrator only for the computer, not the other domains (there are 3 listed - I have no idea what they mean).
I would Like to eliminate this logon and return to the user screen with no log on needed.
Can this be done?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:03 PM

Click Start>Control Panel>User Accounts.
Click the "Advanced" tab.
In the "Secure logon" section, clear the "Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete" check box.

#3 knownotalot

knownotalot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:02 AM

The "require users to press Ctrl + alt+ delete" is grayed out. It can not be selected..
Is ther anything else to try??

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:25 AM

To require users to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE before logging on
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group on a computer that is part of a network domain in order to complete this procedure. Network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
Click the Advanced tab.
In Secure logon, select the Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete check box.
Notes

To open User Accounts, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click User Accounts.
Pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE before logging on guarantees that the authentic Windows logon prompt appears. Requiring the use of CTRL+ALT+DELETE increases security and helps to thwart certain Trojan horse programs.

------------------------------

You may have to alter network policy settings to deselect this.

Try using the "Welcome Screen" instead of "Classic Logon" (user accounts>change the way users log on and off) and see if that enables you to deselect the ctrl alt del requirement.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:30 PM

Hello Since the OS is Windows XP Pro would it not be a good idea to do this in The admin account and usually the way to get to that is thru Safe Mode, and then follow the instructions in the post just before mine. I would suggest Safe Mode even in XP Home

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2006 - 09:17 PM

The problem here, as I understand it, is that the network filesharing permissions are set up by a network administrator for the LAN. If you could just go in and reset them yourself, XP would be useless for security purposes. Although I'm not experienced in this area, I would think that disabling the networking might remove the permissions, but someone more experienced in IT would reply here. (You don't want to remove the Internet capabilities, just the commercial network.)

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2006 - 03:44 PM

From Windows XP Pro help:

"To require users to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE before logging on
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group on a computer that is part of a network domain in order to complete this procedure. Network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
Click the Advanced tab.
In Secure logon, select the Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete check box.
Notes

To open User Accounts, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click User Accounts.
Pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE before logging on guarantees that the authentic Windows logon prompt appears. Requiring the use of CTRL+ALT+DELETE increases security and helps to thwart certain Trojan horse programs."

It would seem to me that accessing that will enable you to uncheck the box that requires this at logon but you will probably need the network admin's password (the individual who set this up).

I don't know if uninstalling the domain network itself would change the settings that exist in your computer that require using ctrl/alt/delete to logon.

You could try disabling or deleting the domains since your computer is no longer required to access them, but be careful not to delete your internet lan connection.

Edited by Enthusiast, 14 April 2006 - 03:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users