Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ready Boost

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Hi all,I would like to know how effective ready boost is in Windows7.Is it worth it or just a waste of time.

Thank-you,Tony.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

ReadyBoost can be effective if a system lacks RAM or has a slow hard drive. It works by caching commonly required files, so if the USB drive is significantly slower than the hard drive, the caching is not very beneficial. A fast USB3 flash drive could help if the system is stalling while the hard drive performs seeks. The only way to know for sure is to try it out.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

Thank-you for the response.Tried it but doesn't seem to make much difference.I have 2gigs of memory and computer is fairly quick.My one concern was unrarring large files and burning dvd's with AVS converter.Seems to slow to a crawl.I know the resources are up to about 90% when I use those functions.
Just thought ready boost might help.Thank-you so much for your help,Tony.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:37 AM

You're welcome. I wouldn't expect those tasks to be accelerated.

Edit: if it's really bogging down, and any of the drives are not SATA or for some reason the drive interface is not set to AHCI mode in the BIOS, it could be worth checking in Device Manager to make sure it hasn't fallen back to PIO Mode.

Edited by Platypus, 15 April 2013 - 07:59 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

My one concern was unrarring large files and burning dvd's with AVS converter.Seems to slow to a crawl.I know the resources are up to about 90% when I use those functions.

That's fairly normal especially with burning video.

On average it takes about half of video running time.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users