Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating System Not Found

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tool1248

Tool1248

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:08 PM

I installed a new Maxtor 40GB Hard Drive in my PC a little over a year ago. I also have another HD with Linux installed and I use LILO on the primary to pick WIndows or Linux. I haven't had any problem with the hard drive until this afternoon. When I boot-up, after the BIOS runs it says "Operating system not found". I went back into the BIOS and had it to automatically detect the hard drive again. It detected it fine. I booted up with a boot disk and it could not read drive C: . FDisk showed me that it has 1 non-DOS partition (the LILO I am assuming) and 1 Ext DOS partition. I'm unsure if a virus has corrupted the partition table or what ... Does anyone have any ideas how I could at least get all of my data off of it before I wipe it clean or buy a new one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:25 PM

you could either put the drive in another computer as a slave drive, boot into the other comnputers operating system and pick off your data. or you could use knoppix or windows PE, (operating system on a cd) to boot into and either copy the info over the network, on another hdd, on a flash drive, or burn it.
you may want to consider going to maxtors website and downloading the diagnostic bootable iso image so you can test out your drive to see if it is bad.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 Tool1248

Tool1248
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:17 PM

Ok, after fooling around with this until 4:30 this morning, here is what I've come up with. I installed another HD into my computer and installed Windows on it. I then added the other hard drive as a slave. BIOS saw this hard drive, but Windows didn't not. I have come to realize that I was mistaken. There is no partition table on this hard drive. I even tried Knoppix and no such luck. I am currently looking into some program which will restore the partition, but there are so many out there on downloads.com. I downloaded GetDataBack which seems to be finding the data ok, but it doesn't restore without a $79 key purchase. Any thoughts on how I can recover my data?

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:51 AM

i use a version of "easy recovery professional"
btw, i am no linux guru, but as far as i can remember you have to use fat32 partition on a windows partition to see/use/share space with a linux distribution. therefore if u are using ntfs you may not be able to see the linux part. please someone correct me if im rong. and could this be the case?

o btw, did you use a maxtor diagnostic tool to see if it is a bad drive?
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users