Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple BSOD in XP every day

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 laceyGB

laceyGB

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

Hi all

My problems started after I installed and ran a Bitcoin client about a week ago, to check if my old wallet had any coins in it. During the synchronising process, where the Bitcoin client gathered transaction data from the past few years, I opened up task manager to check how much memory it was using - it was about 1,600,000k! Shortly after that, the dreaded BSOD popped up and various errors have been plaguing my PC ever since. I'm guessing my computer was already going the way of dodo and running the Bitcoin client was the straw that broke the camel's back.

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

Here's what I've tried so far, and nothing has helped:

Ran memtest86 for 9 hours, it reported no problems with RAM after 9 passes

Removed RAM and graphics cards, tried them in different slots
Updated graphics card drivers
Removed all graphics card drivers
System restored
Repaired Windows with the installation CD
Ran chkdsk - first time I ran it there was a BSOD in the middle of the process! Second time it went fine and reported no errors

Finally I ran Seatools:

Smart Test: Failed
Short Test: Failed, had to run Seatools for DOS
Long test: Ran til 69% and stopped at 99 errors, repaired them
Long test 2: Ran til 99% and detected 90 errors, repaired them
Short test 2: Passed

So can all of this be attributed to a failing hard drive? Attached is a summary of the memory dumps gathered so far - ntkrnlpa.exe seems to be the main culprit.

Attached File  screenshot.PNG   246.41KB   3 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:32 AM

Your HDD failed you should replace it immediately. Even though Seatools reprted it repaired bad sectors it won't be reliable anymore. What Seatool did is to remap the bad sectors with  good sectors from the sector reserve pool. Around 100 bad sector is a clear indication of a failing HDD. Experts advice is to replace the HDD even if you found a single bad sector.  

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 15 April 2013 - 04:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users