Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

really need some help...new here

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KristieMurphy

KristieMurphy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

My laptop said I needed to update my webcam...(standard crystal eye webcam the laptop came with) So I did the update. To use said update I had to restart my laptop. Whilst doing this the laptop starts crashing and won't start so while it was crashing I restored it to factory settings... It did all its stuff but it won't go past ''set up is starting services'' screen...

I can leave it plugged in forever... Won't change.
I've restarted it several times and nothing changes.

It's an Acer with Windows 7 if that helps

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:18 AM

Hi,

I am not clear what you mean when you say "while it was crashing I restored it to factory settings" but I would suggest you start the computer in safe mode and uninstall the web-cam driver which seems to have cause the problem. If this sounds like double-Dutch, it is not dfficult to do.

Turn your computer on and immediately after you do, you will get what is called the BIOS screen, it probably has Acer all over it. While this is showing, press the F8 key a few times and you should be switched to a white text on black screen called 'Boot options' or some such. At the top of this page should be three options referring to 'Safe Mode'. Use the up and down arrow keys to pick the option 'Safe mode with networking', then press 'Enter'. Your computer should now boot into Safe Mode. Don't worry that the screen looks considerably different from your normal one. If it boots into Safe Mode, you can proceed with uninstalling the the web-cam driver. If it doesn't start, come back here and give us a more detailed description of what you did to restore factory settings.

To uninstall the driver, click 'Start' / 'Control Panel' / 'Programs and Features' .  This brings up a list of installed software, and, if we are lucky, you will find the software driving your web-cam listed here. If it is, click on it to select it, and then click on 'Uninstall' towards the top of the screen. Once it has uninstalled itself, shut the computer down then re-start it, and with any luck you should be back and running.  Again, if this doesn't work, come back here.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users