Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Macbook Pro Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cpotter

cpotter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

Have a MacBook Pro with Leopard.  Today, computer froze.  Rebooted.  Initially got grey screen with apple logo and eventual circle with line through it.  Did several restarts.  At one point, would not POST (no initial audio tone).  So, I cleared PRAM with CMD+OPT+P+R.  Now will POST.

Have since tried several things:

Attempted to reach startup manager (turned on with option held continuously).  No results, just grey screen.

Started in single user mode.  Ran fsck -fy.  Got result - "Failed to issue COM RESET successfully after 3 attempts. Failing..." 

Subsequently, booted Leopard install disc by restarting and holding "C".  Ran disk utility.  Disk utility only found DVD drive.  I don't see hard drive at all.

Since initial attempt, I've tried starting in single user mode again.  However, now cannot get this to work.  Just get flashing folder / question mark.

Tried booting "Applications Install DVD" by holding "C".  Couldn't get this to boot.

Battery appears to be functioning OK.  Pressing of button on left side (front) gives 7 solid LED and one blinking LED.

At various times have seen:

1.)  Apple logo followed by circle with line through it.

2.)  Flashing folder with question mark.

I'm much more adept at diagnosing Windows based computers.  However, from the diagnostics I've performed and my little knowledge of MAC's - looks like a hard drive failure to me.  Can anyone confirm this?  Are there other possible options at this point?  Any more diagnostic testing I can do? 

If this is a hard drive failure, I assume the hard drive is easily replaced?  I've never replaced a hard drive on a laptop (and have have never worked on MAC's at all).  However, there are directions for replacing the hard drive in the user manual.  As such, it shouldn't be too complicated.  Agree?

Thanks in advance for all the help.  Chad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

Looks like you tried everything short of Diskwarrior. If DW doesn't work then nothing will. ifixit and macsales have videos on replacing hard drives. You can watch to see if you want to try it. Some Mac models are harder than others.

#3 cpotter

cpotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:36 PM

I'm not so concerned with recovering data at this point (with DiskWarrior).  Just want to make sure it does sound like a HD failure being that I'm not as familiar with Mac's.  Sound like HD replacement should fix the problem?  Thanks again.

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

Diskwarrior mainly repairs HD errors that the built in Disk Utility can't. A new hard drive will work but you'll need the original install disks or a retail version in order to format and install OS X onto the new drive.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

From what you have said, it sounds like a problem with the hard drive.

The only other Apple test to potentially try is the Apple Hardware Test:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

I honestly don't know how much, if at all, it really tests the hard drive, but it should not hurt anything to try it.

Beyond that, the only other options are:

1) Run a 3rd party utility such as Diskwarrior, Tech Tools Pro, etc.

2) Take it to an Apple Store and see what they say.

3) Replace the hard drive.

As I said initially, everything you have stated suggests that it is a hard drive "hardware" problem.  Thus, I would likely suggest just replacing the drive.  If it turns out to not be the hard drive (i.e. it is something else), then you can always still make use the hard drive as a spare drive or an external drive (i.e. buy an enclosure for it).  Thus, you likely don't have a "downside" to trying out a new drive.

Replacing the drive will either be EXTREMELY easy (like a 1 on a scale of 1 to 5) or moderately difficult (like a 2 or 3 on a 1 to 5 scale)...depending on which model of MacBook Pro you have.  

If you have a "unibody" MBP, then it is VERY easy.  You basically just take the bottom cover off and the drive is right there.  You might need to buy a proper set of screw drivers (i.e. small Phillips and maybe more specialized type depending on the model year).

If it is a pre-"unibody" MBP, then it is going to be more difficult, but it is still very doable.

If you give the exact model year, then I can give you a link to "disassembly" instructions.

#6 cpotter

cpotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Thanks for all the help.

Re: Apple hardware test:

Only way I know how to do this is holding down "D" when starting.  Or booting from "Applications Install Disc".  Tried both.  Neither worked.  Just continuous grey screen.

I think I have a MacBook Pro 5.5 (mid 2009's construction).  Serial # ends in 66E.

Back has TINY Phillips screws.  Can't find a screwdriver at home which will work.  Will have to go buy one.

Was planning on getting this replacement HD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152289

As far as I can tell, this should be compatible with my MacBook.

Again, thanks for all the help.

#7 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:35 AM

Here are the step by step instructions for the 13 inch mid 2009 model MBP 5,5. It lists the tools you will need for disassembly.

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2009 Hard Drive Replacement

#8 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for all the help.

Re: Apple hardware test:
Only way I know how to do this is holding down "D" when starting.  Or booting from "Applications Install Disc".  Tried both.  Neither worked.  Just continuous grey screen.

I think I have a MacBook Pro 5.5 (mid 2009's construction).  Serial # ends in 66E.

Back has TINY Phillips screws.  Can't find a screwdriver at home which will work.  Will have to go buy one.

Was planning on getting this replacement HD:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152289

As far as I can tell, this should be compatible with my MacBook.

Again, thanks for all the help.

That hard drive should work fine. It is a 9.5 mm tall drive, which will definitely work in a MacBook Pro.

You will need a Phillips 00 and a T6 Torx screwdriver. Might be able to buy both at a local hardware store, but they may not have them. You can certainly buy them from iFixit (the site that [user=Buddyme2] linked to for the hard drive replacement instructions above - http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/Phillips-00-Screwdriver/IF145-006?utm_source=ifixit_guide&utm_medium=guide_intro&utm_content=required_items&utm_term=macbook_pro_13%22_unibody_mid_2009 & http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/T6-Torx-Screwdriver/IF145-004?utm_source=ifixit_guide&utm_medium=guide_intro&utm_content=required_items&utm_term=macbook_pro_13%22_unibody_mid_2009) or from OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TOOLKITMHD/). You can also find such screwdrivers on Amazon...and NewEgg might also have some.

#9 Protech_solutions

Protech_solutions

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

Sounds like a typical case of a crashed hard drive too me! This is exactly what happened to my computer when it crashed about a year ago. It sounds like you are pretty tech savvy just by the way you are talking and asking about putting in a new hard drive yourself but macs can be tricky and I only say this because I have techie friends who regret trying to do it that were not familiar with macs. If you are, you should be fine. Otherwise I would suggest making an appointment for the mac store. Generally speaking they usually will just replace your hard drive for free and might even be able to save some things on it. Good luck!

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:18 PM

It sounds like you are pretty tech savvy just by the way you are talking and asking about putting in a new hard drive yourself but macs can be tricky and I only say this because I have techie friends who regret trying to do it that were not familiar with macs.

I disagree.

While there are certainly Mac models where it is rather difficult to replace a hard drive, that is NOT the case for the "unibody" MacBook Pros. For a "unibody" MacBook Pro, it is largely a matter of removing the bottom panel of the MacBook Pro (about a dozen Phillips 00 screws) and then pulling out the hard drive (a few more screws, some of which are Torx screws). While many Windows laptops are even easier (generally fewer screws to remove the access panel to the hard drive), replacing a drive in a "unibody" MacBook Pro is almost as easy.

The original MacBook Pro version was more difficult to replace a hard drive. iMacs can be a down right pain in the rear.

#11 cpotter

cpotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for all the help.  Ordered hard drive.  Just replaced it.  Easy.  However, still have same problem.  Trying to install OS.  Computer finds no hard drive.  Any thoughts?

#12 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 715 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

Are you saying you booted off the install dvd and Disk Utility from the Utilities menu does not see the new hard drive?

Edited by Buddyme2, 26 April 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#13 cpotter

cpotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:05 PM

Yes.  Booted off install DVD.  Ran Disk Utility.  Can't see hard drive.  Tried to install OS.  OS cannot find hard drive to install. 

I assume that there is either a problem with the hard drive cable or logic board?

#14 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

Yes.  Booted off install DVD.  Ran Disk Utility.  Can't see hard drive.  Tried to install OS.  OS cannot find hard drive to install. 

I assume that there is either a problem with the hard drive cable or logic board?

If you are not seeing the hard drive in Disk Utility to be able to format it, then it does suggest that there is some problem beyond/instead of the hard drive.  I would double check the connection of the hard drive.

#15 seedy21

seedy21

• Malware Response Team
  • 742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Hi.

They was a fault with some Macbook Pro with the HDD Cable going to the Logic board. If you have a Caddy you could rule it out by plugging your old drive and see if it boots.

“It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.”
― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users