Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh install Windows 7, no disk drive.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 maynard60

maynard60

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:51 PM

I need help....

I have an Asus UL30A with Windows 7, home premium installed. It still has some bloat ware but have tried to rid it of some. I am having several small issues... web cam won't work, some things won't open when I click on them, computer is sluggish etc. 

I've decided it best if I can do a "fresh install" of windows 7. 

This computer does not have a CD drive so using a disc is out. 

When I click on My computer, I see (2) Hard Disk Drives.... OS (C:) .... 73 GB free of 116 GB, Data (D:)...334 GB free of 334 GB,

Can I (somehow) place the needed windows 7 info on a thumb drive and use that?

Should I just install a copy of windows 7 on "D Drive" and use that? 

Should I wipe the C drive? How do I save drivers?

Thanks for yur help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

This might help.

How To Setup a USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 7

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 maynard60

maynard60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

Thanks but not really

Struggling to make a flash drive.

This seems weird to me that I was able to purchase a PC, without a CD drive and have no ability to re-install or repair windows

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:12 AM

Hi maynard60

I guess you don't have a Win7 Home Premium install disk. Actually you can legally install a fresh copy of Win 7 Home Basic in your Laptop without the bloatwares from manufacturer. In a nutshell you need to backup your activation data, Clean install OS and then restore your activation. Here is the complete steps :

1) Backup OEM Serial Key and Certificate.

To do this download "Advanced Token Manager" from http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/27341-Advanced-Tokens-Manager-The-Activation-Backup-Solution

Run the tool and backup your activation data.

2) Perform a clean install of Win 7 with Win 7 Home Premium ISO downloaded from Digital river. You can use USB installation if you don't have a DVD drive. For step by step instructions please visit http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-7-8

3) After Setup finishes re run tokens manager and restore activation data.

I highly recommend everyone to backup their activation data using tokens manager as MS imposes a number limit on activations. It might come handy when re installing legal copy of Windows. Since backup token's won't work in other machines this method can't be used for piracy.

There is also another tool called ABR which  is specially used to aid reinstalling OEM Win 7 machines those who comes without install CD. It can backup and restore activation data like token manager.

http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore

Note : Neither of these tools can't be used for illegal activation. You should use the exact same machine and exact same edition of Win 7 to successfully restore an activation backup.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 15 April 2013 - 09:16 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

Most manufacturers don't provide a installation disk now days.  These computer usually will come with either a partition which can be used to reset the computer to the state it came out of the box, or has a recovery partition which will restore the computer to its out of the box condition.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 maynard60

maynard60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

Hi maynard60

I guess you don't have a Win7 Home Premium install disk. Actually you can legally install a fresh copy of Win 7 Home Basic in your Laptop without the bloatwares from manufacturer. In a nutshell you need to backup your activation data, Clean install OS and then restore your activation. Here is the complete steps :

1) Backup OEM Serial Key and Certificate.

To do this download "Advanced Token Manager" from http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/27341-Advanced-Tokens-Manager-The-Activation-Backup-Solution

Run the tool and backup your activation data.

2) Perform a clean install of Win 7 with Win 7 Home Premium ISO downloaded from Digital river. You can use USB installation if you don't have a DVD drive. For step by step instructions please visit http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-7-8

3) After Setup finishes re run tokens manager and restore activation data.

I highly recommend everyone to backup their activation data using tokens manager as MS imposes a number limit on activations. It might come handy when re installing legal copy of Windows. Since backup token's won't work in other machines this method can't be used for piracy.

There is also another tool called ABR which  is specially used to aid reinstalling OEM Win 7 machines those who comes without install CD. It can backup and restore activation data like token manager.

http://directedge.us/content/abr-activation-backup-and-restore

Note : Neither of these tools can't be used for illegal activation. You should use the exact same machine and exact same edition of Win 7 to successfully restore an activation backup.Thanks, I'll give it a shot

#7 maynard60

maynard60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:24 PM

I'm assuming my windows install is really messed up.... and it is OEM tat came with this Asus from manufacturer...

Downloaded Advanced Token Manager and received error messages... it didn't save anything

now what?

I have the serial number....

#8 maynard60

maynard60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

nevermind... got another copy to work

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=UL30A&s=208&hashedid=8CwAK6XZ0pekc7aI&os=&no=1775

Top 5 things that never get done:

#10 maynard60

maynard60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

Still struggling....

shows the key but when I click on "Backup Activation: I get.... error extracting the product key at the kernel. 

after I then click on OK, I get a new box.....error validating backup data.

wtf?

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:51 AM

Hi

Try ABR from http://directedge.us/files/abr/ABRbeta.exe

This is specifically designed for OEM activation backup. Make sure to run the program as "Administrator"  (Right click and choose 'run as administrator')

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 16 April 2013 - 02:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users