Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard behaving eratically

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ninjadad

Ninjadad

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Hi, been a while since I've posted on here. Hopefully I'm posting in the right section.

I have been a given a laptop to look at as it seems to be playing up. It's a Toshiba Satellite L550-1CC. It's running W7 Home Premium 64bit, dual core processor, 4Gb Ram. Recently the keyboard has been playing up. The guy that owns it has noticed that it has been quite laggy while typing and it's been taking a new line whilst typing(currently doing it just now while I type this.) This isn't a case of palms/thumbs touching touch pad as my hands are clear of it just now.

I have noticed that if any of the keys are held down, the regulars like Ctrl, Shift, and backspace but also any of the standard letter or number keys, then the key would repeat for a few times then it would start acting like the return key and just keep taking a new line. This happens in Word, Notepad, Outlook, Hotmail or any other email.

If I were to do the same in a search field box then it would be like I pressed Enter to search.
Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

I've come across things like this in the past, usually its a bad keyboard caused by liquid damage (something spilled on it).

First thing I would try would be to disconnect the keyboard and try using a USB keyboard. That should tell you if it is a hardware problem or if it is a Windows problem. If the USB keyboard operates normally then problem solved, replacement keyboard needed.

Also, now that I think of it, do you get the same results in safe mode?

-lcs

#3 Ninjadad

Ninjadad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:13 PM

Hi, cheers I should have mentioned that the L550-1CC is a laptop, unfortunately I don't have a spare keyboard to test with. I have however tried the keys in Safe Mode and the same thing happens.

Thanks.

#4 LCS_Tech

LCS_Tech

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:22 AM

Hi Nanjadad,

In my experience, if it is still happening in safe mode then I would further suspect a hardware problem with the keyboard. I understood it was a laptop, disconnecting the keyboard varies by models but usually a couple of screws and it an be removed and the ribbon cable disconnected. 

Looking at a picture of the laptop I would say that the little silver strip that runs across the top of the KB comes off and allows you access to the screws. Remove the 4 screws and out comes the keyboard. Take a look at the underside of the keyboard and you might be able to tell if it has had something spilled on it or not. Either way, it probably needs to be replaced. Looking at ebay, and using the model # and adding the word keyboard turns up a couple results. Best way would be to do a search using the part numbr on the underside of the KB.

Have a great day.

-lcs

edit to correct spelling

Edited by LCS_Tech, 15 April 2013 - 07:23 AM.

#5 AusJohn

AusJohn

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:26 AM

I agree with lcs......something spilled on keyboard. As stated, remove keyboard, or possibly uninstall/ disable keyboard from device manager and plug in external usb keyboard to test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users