Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Centinel Vxd ; Alexa ; And Windows Xp Startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 used_and_under_oath24

used_and_under_oath24

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:25 PM

Alright, I have a few questions for anyone who can help:

1) Centinel VxD - Does anyone know what this is? Every time (and that's not an exaggeration) I shut down my computer, The End Program window comes up for Centinel VxD. I have no idea what it is or that it was even on my computer.

2) Alexa - Does anyone know what this is? I just ran an Ad-Aware Scan on my computer and one thing that the program found was Alexa. Does anyone know what this is and how much harm it can do to your computer?

and finally

3) Windows XP Startup - I recently reformatted my computer. But now, every time I start it up, it goes to a blue screen where I have to pick if I'm starting up as Windows XP setup or just as Windows XP. I have never had to do this before, except for when I reformat my computer and the Operating Systems CD is the in the D: drive. Does anyone know how I can fix this so that I don't have to choose, it just automatically starts up as Windows XP Home?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:42 PM

Hi used_and_under_oath24,

Centinel VxD is a file used by PandaSoft antivirus. Sometime viruses and trojans disable this file to cause problems with your computer. Here is an example I found of Symantec's site: Backdoor.Optix.05

Alexa is spyware - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alexa collects information on Web usage through the Windows-only application, the Alexa Toolbar. This allows them to provide statistics on web site traffic, as well as related link information. The Alexa Toolbar has a bad reputation with anti-spyware programs, as it collects information on search habits.

Let's check your computer for malware. Please follow sections 3,4,5,and 6 from this post: Start Here

Please post back with what was found. If you are clean, you may want to reinstall Panda Antivirus.

Good luck and let us know of you have any questions,

rigel

Edited by rigel, 07 April 2006 - 07:44 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 09:14 PM

Alexa is related to spyware. In fact, even in a clean operating system, Spybot will find Alexa because it's what's behind the "What's Related" button that comes with IE. Here's a more thorough explanation of it. BTW - it's not terribly harmful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users