Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 DocMccoy

DocMccoy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:12 AM

After awhile, my screen goes turns solid color, usually black, and computer stops responding altogether.

Can anyone help  me out?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

I would presume this is a desktop... What computer model/brand is it? Is the computer running with a dedicated graphics card and does the motherboard comes with onboard chip video to try checking the difference?

Tekken

#3 DocMccoy

DocMccoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

Yes, it's a desktop. Dell Studio XPS 9100. Its runnig a ATI Radeon HD 5670 graphics card. It doesn't look like the motherboard has onboard graphics installed.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Does it happen in safemode after running it the same duration when this thing occurs? It's either swapping out a compatible video card or try reinstalling/updating your driver to the same or latest version. Another thing to check is opening the side casing and see if the computer is not overheating for it may need to be dusted along with the GPU card.

Tekken

#5 DocMccoy

DocMccoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Its seems to not happen while running in safe mode. Its not an overheating issue, either. When I turned my machine back on, windows would not start.  After multpile faliled attempts it started the Start-up Repair function. After more attempts, it reverted changes to windows update. It boots up now, but I have only been poking around in safe mode.

I'll try to reinstall my ATI driver.

#6 DocMccoy

DocMccoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

I've deleted and installed the latest driver. That seems to have solved the issue.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

:thumbup2:

Tekken

#8 DocMccoy

DocMccoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

Sorry, I spoke too soon. The problem keeps occurring. Computer crashes and screen turns solid color (black, white, blue, brown, etc.)

Even if i shut it down normally, before it has a chance to crash, it won't boot up when i turn it on. It takes multiple tries of shutting it off and on.

Any ideas on what to do?

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

This may sound stupid, but perhaps the monitor itself has gone bad? How old is the monitor? Do you have a spare monitor you can hook the computer up to?

You say it won't boot up; do you mean the computer won't start up at all, or you can't see anything on the screen?

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:05 AM

In addition to the post made by sflatechguy which I would agree, use the monitor on another working PC if the artifacts are present. If the monitor is good, then its time to swap a known good compatible video card.

Tekken

#11 DocMccoy

DocMccoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:27 PM

I'm swapping monitors with my other desktop and will see how it goes.

#12 DocMccoy

DocMccoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:42 AM

It's not the monitor. i switch monitors (the one in question is 21/2 years old) and the computer wound up crashing after i restarted the computer after a Windows update. It was running about 3 minutes when the screen turned red.

When I say my computer doesn't boot up, it turns on but nothing pops up on the screen. A couple of time Windows has launched Start-up repair after its has happened. 

#13 DocMccoy

DocMccoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

Is there anyway I cant check the video card without swapping it out?

#14 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:55 AM

Check out this article, could be your problem ? http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505143_162-57579536/remove-corrupt-windows-update-to-prevent-failure/

Edited by sleepwalker, 20 April 2013 - 08:02 AM.

#15 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

I was just going to say, as soon as you said "Windows update" I thought of this. Since it's not the monitor, that may be your problem. What you're describing doesn't sound like a video card issue; if the video card were malfunctioning that badly, the computer wouldn't boot at all, it would just beep, similar to a bad processor or RAM issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users