Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

For my 65th I got a...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Sledder

Sledder

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

ATI Radion HD6450 and a Asus P8Z77-V mobo. These appear to be compatible (AGP)? Devry learned me of tubes, etc,

but this stuff is taxing me. I have been told to pick an Intel Pentium 4 cpu. But what kind. Something middle of the road. no

gaming. The two boards I have were free but are they ok for my (middle of the road). Also, can my ide DVD burner be used by some miracle. I did buy myself a Crucial 256GB SSD and I got a good deal on a 1TB sata hd. I still need memory, ps,

case, and I think Windows 7, but that shouldnt be a problem.

I will pile mounds of blessings on whosoever can help me through this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:51 AM

The most important question, IMO...how much money are you willing/committed to spending?

I generally don't think it wise to spend money on systems that have components that are far past their estimated useful lives (dating from introduction into sonsumer market)...so I think it important to know what resources you are willing to commit.

FWIW:  P4 computers...should not be considered as a purchase by anyone today, IMO.  Most CPUs introduced in the last 5 years (at least) perform better.

Lastly...just what do you do on this projected new system?  What activities might help determine what suggestions should be made?

Louis

#3 Sledder

Sledder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 04:24 PM

It is my impression the P8Z77-V motherboard is one of the latest. My present machine has a asus P4S8X-X which will be retired to the garage. My hopes  

were to learn of a cpu that would be a good marriage to the P8 for not so much money.

Ron

ps The Pent 4 cpu was my mistake. An intel dual core was mentioned. Beyond that I am ignorant.

Edited by Sledder, 14 April 2013 - 05:04 PM.

#4 Sledder

Sledder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

One of my family advisors heard me mention my question about the cpu, but he called later and said the cpu 

you might want is a Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Ivy bridge LGA 1155 quad-core processor for the Asus P8Z77-V

board. He said this should give better speed and lower wait times, which is music to me.

Is this true? Im not looking for speed records here, just common sense approach. I'll admit the price kind of scared me

but this is the most important piece of the build. What do you think. 

Ron

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

Just my approach to purchasing...anything :).

If all I need is a reliable car...there's little point in my buying a car built for the way that they used to drive on the autobahn in Germany :).

There's little point in paying for a processor with a lot of power...if you don't game or use applications that might utilize or call for the horsepower you have paid for.

As for cpus...I always prefer AMD over Intel for several reasons...the most important being price versus value provided.  For what I do (I am not a gamer) there is no real value in preferring Intel processors over AMD processors.  I run Word, surf, capture/edit movies and other mundane tasks...any processor made within the last 10 years could easily handle all the things I do on a system.

It's a moot point, since you have an Intel board...but you may want to consider that in the future.

You didn't answer my query about $$...that's not a good sign, IMO.

You have to understand...the computers that we buy today...are toys.  They should be purchased in the same manner that we purchase any toy which we want...we save and then purchase the toy that we want, well-aware that we need no reason to justify such, other than to say "I wanted that."

Since you didn't really answer this, let's try it again.  What do you expect to get out of your "new system" that you did not get out of your "old system"?  What makes putting together a new system...such an urgent thing to do now?

Louis

You should also consider the fact that a new motherboard...normally will also mean new PSU, new CPU, new RAM, new cables for drives. 

Edited by hamluis, 15 April 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#6 Sledder

Sledder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

I had a rather lenghly reply typed up just now and it just disappeared??? Your reply is taken well. Guess i'll skip the details in the last message

and move on. Hoping to keep cost below $1200. My current machine has a questionable hard drive, a video board that falters occasionally from

the heat, 10 minutes to fully boot (software), xp support is going to fade away next year, 2 golden retrievers that create loads of dander making

me think in terms of a case with good filtering. I know about the psu, cpu, ram, case, and cabling so my only unknown is the type of cpu. The board 

i was given certainly narrows my options. Regards.

Ron

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

$1200?

For that amount of money, you should just be thinking "new system", rather than patching around older equipment...IMO :).

I would forget anything given to me...and just move on with reliable new components, not necessarily choosing overpriced parts (that means "no Intel" in my world).  It's a bias and I freely acknowledge it.

If...I were putting together a brand new system today, I'd be thinking along these lines:

PSU, http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Builder-Watt-EPS%C2%A0-CX600/dp/B0092ML0OC/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1366397199&sr=1-2&keywords=corsair+psu

RAM, http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-240-Pin-Platforms-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9/dp/B004CRSM4I/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_y

CPU, http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FX-8150-8-Core-Processor-FD8150FRGUBOX/dp/B005UBNLFK/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366397357&sr=1-2&keywords=processors .  This is overkill, but it's value for the dollars and should provide years of reliable performance, IMO.

Motherboard, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131942 .  I happen to like onboard video but...I would also consider just getting an AMD processor with video capability if money were a concern.

SSD, http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-2-5-Inch-SF2200-Controller-CSSD-F128GBGS-BK/dp/B00ABE3RFA/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1366397768&sr=1-1&keywords=ssd+128gb

Data Storage Drive:  http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST2000DM001/dp/B005T3GRN2/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1366397932&sr=1-4&keywords=internal+hard+drive

That leaves me quite a bit to choose for a case, etc., IMO...and have decent components for one who does not game.  I don't spend a lot on a case...I'm not buying furniture, just a place to house my system :).

The other members here certainly probably have better ideas/suggestions re what you might do.  Let's give them some time to weigh in.

The key items that must correlate are your motherboard, RAM, and CPU.  The motherboard capabilities dictate your options for RAM and CPU.  IMO, many boards are made today...with gamers in mind and are overpriced in terms of value for non-gamers, while reflecting capabilities/features that will not be needed or appreciated.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 26 April 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#8 Sledder

Sledder
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

I couldnt believe it when that blue screen showed up, but it did boot again normally. Fortunately the adaptor cable came to attach 256GB SSD to my asus ide board and the results were great. The machine runs w/o problem and seems to be about 3 times faster. This will be more than acceptable untill the new machine is done and big thanks to Louis  for the help with that. For the time at hand I one question is whether the new sata mobo will talk to my external ide drives thru one of the USB ports. I have two Maxtor 80GB drives and one Pioneer CD/DVD reader writer.

Thanks again to this good moderator! 

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:29 PM

You can always connect IDE drives via USB enclosure, such as http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1945393&Sku=S457-1104 .  That link is not a recomendation, just an esxample of what is available.

But I would favor a PCI or PCIj-e controller card over any USB connection possibility, if I intended to keep PATA/IDE drives permanently accessible on my system.  Connection to the motherboard or a controller card will be faster than USB and eliminates the enclosure.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users