Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microphone

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 gail

gail

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:17 PM

Hi all, new to this forum, and would appreciate some help, Im not very pc literate (just scrape by).
my problem is im using windows xp and would like to join talk sessions on aol with my friends, but although I can hear them they cant hear me !!!!!! Have I got a built in microphone in my pc, and if so why wont it work ?
any help would be great,

gail...................

hope this is in the right forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:34 PM

Yes, your computer should have a built in microphone, and perhaps it is muted?
Go to Start-> All programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment -> Voice Recorder.

Just shout some stuff and see if it registers.

Go to Edit -> Audio properties and check what your "Sound Recording Default Device" is..

Hope this helps,
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 gail

gail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:51 PM

thanks charles, just done step by step and the Sound recording Default device is VIA AC97 Enhanced Audio (Wave) the mic boxed was not ticked so would that be right? Shouted by no movement.

gail

#4 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:55 PM

Hello,
Check the mic box on the original menu.

Then try..
Start -> All programs -> Accessories -> Entertainment -> Volume control

Once this has opened, look under the heading titled "microphone", and make sure that the volume slider is right at the top, and that the mute box (at the bottom) is unchecked.

Press record (in Sound Recorder) and try shouting again, to see if it registers this time!

Hope this helps,
Charles

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 gail

gail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:39 PM

thanks charles,
tried that and nothing happening, not even a little blip,
I honestly dont know what else to do, I love trying to solve little problems on my pc, but this one is really annoying me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gail

#6 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:02 PM

Hi gail,
Now we can try something else, and if this does not work I will leave it for someone else, because I am unable to help you anymore. I will apologise in advance.

Start -> Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices -> Hardware -> Click on your device, should be under VIA AC97 Enhanced Audio or something like that -> Properties -> Driver -> Update Driver.

Follow the steps, it should be simple, and once this has finished, try..

Start -> Control Panel -> Sounds And Audio Devices -> Voice -> Test Hardware -> follow the steps again, and once this has completed, go back into "Voice Recorder", press record and shout.

I really hope this helps, as this is all I am able to do for you.
Charles

Posted Image

#7 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:03 PM

Also, if nobody else helps, perhaps consider buying an external microphone, or even a webcam with a built in one. The quality of this will probably be higher than your built in one as well..

Posted Image

#8 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 04:36 PM

Assuming you're using XP, you can double-click on the volume icon in the tray and you should get a window with settings for the microphone. (Along with everything else.)

I have not used AOL chat, but I have used MSN Messenger. This has to be set up to work within the program the first time. You can also use Sound Recorder to test your sound. Since I have a Soundblaster card installed, i probably have some different settings than you do. But in the Control Panel, under Sounds and Audio Devices, you should find a "voice" tab and a "test hardware" button. This will lead you through a wizard to see if your microphone is working. After clicking on the "next" button, you should be able to hear your voice when you speak into the microphone.

#9 gail

gail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:23 PM

Hi charles and herk,
Right done what u said charles updated driver, then pressed Test Hardware, A wizard then come up , but before I can click on next an error message comes up (an error has occurred during set up code 0x80004005) tried to test hardware several times but still getting error message.

Herk, I clicked on volume on the bottom bar and everything come up and nothing was muted !!!!!!!

any more help would be great

gail...............

#10 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:28 AM

Hi gail,
This solution involves reconfiguring some advanced sound settings and tweaking the registry. Start by opening the Control Panel and selecting the Sounds And Audio Devices icon (in the Sounds, Speech, And Audio Devices category). Choose the Voice tab, locate the Voice Playback heading, and click the Advanced button. From the Advanced Audio Properties dialog box, choose its Performance tab and move the Hardware Acceleration slider to the right. It doesn't matter how far to the right, as long as the Hardware Acceleration slider is set to something other than None. Click OK to close the dialog boxes.

Before continuing to the next phase of the solution, you must make sure Dpvsetup.exe isnít open and running on your PC. Press the CTRL-ALT-DELETE key combination to access the Task Manager and locate any references to Dpvsetup.exe or DirectPlay Voice. End all of them and close the Task Manager.

Now itís time to edit the Registry. Open the Start menu, select Run, type regedit in the Open field, and click OK. In the Registry Editor, locate and highlight HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\DIRECTPLAY\VOICE\AUDIOCONFIG. The AudioConfig key should include a pair of nested folders labeled with hexadecimal numbers. Open both of them to reveal several Registry values, including three labeled as FullDuplex, HalfDuplex, and MicDetected.

Right-click the FullDuplex value and select Modify from the pop-up menu. In the resulting Edit DWORD Value dialog box, type 3 in the Value Data field and click OK. Repeat the procedure for the HalfDuplex and MicDetected values, setting the Edit Value fields to 3 for HalfDuplex and 2 for MicDetected. Close the Registry Editor and reboot the computer. The microphone should now work correctly. If it doesnít, you may have a malfunctioning microphone on your hands.

Let me know if this works, :thumbsup:
Charles

Posted Image

#11 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 07:45 AM

Posted Image
Do NOT make changes to your registry unless you have a good backup first!

HOW TO BACKUP THE ENTIRE REGISTRY IN WINDOWS XP

Start > Run
type "regedit" (without the quotes). This will open the Registry Editor.
File > Export
Choose a location where you want to store your backup. Choose an easy to remember location, such as on your desktop.
Give it a easy to recognize name in File Name such as: regbackupMONTH with MONTH being the current month.
Save as type: Registration Files (*reg)
Export Range: All
Click on 'Save'

A copy of your registry will now be saved on your desktop and will look like this:
Posted Image

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 09 April 2006 - 07:50 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#12 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:00 AM

Hello, You will have to excuse me but trying to talk somebody thru a registry change or changes in a forum is not the thing to do. One goof up by some one here or by Gail and her system iws wacked. After going thru all of the steps that are listed here and the problem is still bot fixed I would strongly suggest that Gail call the tech support for the computer she has or have someone locally that is qualified work on it. I know how easy it is to trash a computer by messing up and the registry is gone.

Gail these people here are doing a fantastic job but get help from the manufacturer of the computer or a local technician it will be worth every penny you might have to pay. You might even have a bad Microphone. That is the first thing I would have suggested.

#13 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:06 AM

Hey Gail,

Be SURE that the microphone is plugged into the correct spot on your computer. Can't tell you how many times I have seen a problem like this caused by something simple.

Just another idea.

Good luck!

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 09 April 2006 - 08:06 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#14 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 698 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:09 AM

Make sure you choose the right device--

Posted Image

Is the volume on - See picture

#15 gail

gail
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2006 - 09:26 AM

thanks all for your replies,
I have backed up the registry, followed those instuctions, they are now on my desk top.
I honestly dont know if I can tweak the registry though !!!!!!!!!!!!
I will keep reading the instructions charles and let you know,

gail

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users