Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive not Recognized

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jcbx226

jcbx226

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

Specs: I have a Seagate 500GB paperweight external hard drive
PN:  1D8AP1-500

SN: NA52CZY8
It is about 6 months old and has been working well with no problems until today.

I went to use it and first noticed it was behaving oddly. For about 10-15 seconds it makes a low beeping noise much like an alarm clock. The noise is soft, definitely coming from the hard drive itself. Then for another 30 seconds it continues to make the noise while the LED light blinks on and off. Finally the light stays on and the noise stops. When I check my computer or disk manager I can not find the drive. I tried manually updating the drivers via device manager, this did not work. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the device drivers and this did not solve my problem either. 

I have tried the external hard drive on another computer and got the same results. The only thing I have not been able to do is try a different cable (I haven't found another one to use yet). I get the feeling I'm going to end up just returning this brick and losing the data I have on it. Is there anything else I can try? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users