Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WD external harddrive crashed, want to connect directly to desktop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kkdcalgary

kkdcalgary

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

Dear all

I was working on my WD 500 gb external harddrive when it suddenly crashed. It turns on when plugged in and shows up but no files can be accessed and no files can be saved into it. It doesn't make clicking noises, it's quiet as usual. Recuva an autorun removers can't access te drive. I've opened it and the disk has a silver wrapper around it that holds the green board onto the disk - anyone know any videos or can provide advice into disassembling this so I can try to plug it directly in?

Thanks!!

Karen

Ps it's a my passport

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:09 AM

What is the model of this hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 kkdcalgary

kkdcalgary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

a my passport, 500 gb essential here:

http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Essential-Portable-External-Midnight/dp/B0041OSAZS/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366042307&sr=1-3&keywords=wd+my+passport+500+gb

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Where are you able to see this hdd?

If you can see this hdd this means that the connection between hdd and Windows is working, so removing it from the case to install it won't help.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 kkdcalgary

kkdcalgary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

When I plug it into my USB the L: drive shows up in my computer, but I can't access the files or save to it. An error message pops up saying the drive is inaccessible.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

What exactly is this error message?

#7 kkdcalgary

kkdcalgary
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

'a problem occured during hardware installation. Your new hardware may not work properly'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users