Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer No Longer Working Xp (sp2)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Viktery

Viktery

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:42 AM

Hey all, I am hoping someone can help me with this.

I awhile ago (a month and some change) I had gotten infected by Ad-aware viruses, look2me, sidekick, and a few others which with some help was able to get it cleaned up. I noticed a few weeks later, and especially now that it seems my Windows Installer was either corrupted, deleted or just simply messed up. And I can no longer install most programs that use the WinStaller to put new programs on my pc.

Any help out there for me on this?

I get a error usually that says "1607: Unable to install InstallShield Scripting: Runtime Error".

Or something along the lines of "Windows cannot install program. This usually means your win installer is no longer working corretly, currently being used or your are in safemode.".

Any help would be much appreciated, I need to install some new software on to my pc and im screwed at the moment. I just moved and I no longer have my XP cds, and I cant do updates anymore, for SOME reason Microsoft will no longer allow me to. Though ive done them up January of this year, I get error messages or messages that just tell me I cant use their service :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:05 PM

See if this helps:
You may receive a "1607:Unable to install InstallShield Scripting runtime" error message when you try to install software in Windows XP
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Viktery

Viktery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:25 PM

See if this helps:
You may receive a "1607:Unable to install InstallShield Scripting runtime" error message when you try to install software in Windows XP

I was able to find IDriver.exe which I ran. Didnt notice anything happen.The microsoft told me to:

Reinstall the InstallScript engine
To reinstall the InstallScript engine from InstallShield Developer, follow these steps: 1. Click Start, click All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
2. Open the following folder: C:\Program Files\InstallShield\Developer\Redist\Language Independent\i386.
3. Double-click Isscrpt.msi.
4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen.

But my Installshield folder doesnt seem to be there anymore. Only Installshield Installation Information.

And when I do a search for Isscrpt.msi, my pc cannot find it anywhere on my pc

#4 Viktery

Viktery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 08:58 PM

Does anyone else have any solutions? or places I can reinstalled the files I seem to be missing?

#5 SteveJ2006

SteveJ2006

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 07:41 PM

I too have this same exact problem. I get the "1607: Unable to install InstallShield scripting runtime" anytime I try to install a program tha uses InstallShield. And as well, I also seem to be missing the files/folder that the microsoft support site suggest I use to reinstall the InstallScript engine. Namely the "C:/Program Files/InstallShield" folder and the "Isscrpt.msi" file.

Does anyone know of any solutions for this and/or any way to re-acquire these apparently missing files? Please help!

#6 Gaytan

Gaytan

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:46 AM

Hi Guyz!

Try: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...38-de776fd4138c

Reinstall the MS Windows Installer; version 3.1 is the latest for as far as I know.

Mind you; am not sure this will cure your problems; might just do....

Let me know the outcome.

Grtz.

:thumbsup:

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:32 AM

Try this:
http://consumer.installshield.com/kb.asp?id=Q110722

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:04 AM

Try this free quick fix for installer issues: http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

It has an installer section that will reregister the dll's needed for the installer to function.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users