Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Case fan cables?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dream1

Dream1

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

I bought my first case fan. It has 2 cables. One that can attach into a 3 pin socket & a much larger one that has 4 pins at the end I'm guessing is a Molex. My motherboard has 1 4 pin socket for SYS FAN. I read I can plug in the 3 pin cable into this 4 pin socket. The fan has it's own temperature sensor near the blades.

My questions are do I need to plug in the fan's 3 pin & 4 pin cable, or should I only plug one of them in? What's the point of the 3 pin cable if the fan has it's own sensor?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

You do not need to plug in both the 3 pin motherboard power and the 4 pin molex. Its an either or, the molex is just there to power the fan if you do not have a system fan header on the motherboard.

As far as the fan having a sensor, I have never seen a case fan with a temperature sensor, but I suspect the sensor only works when plugged into the motherboard header, it will transmit the temperature of the fan, to the motherboard, where you can monitor the temperature via speedfan or whatever monitoring software you use. The motherboard and/or the software you use, can take the data from that sensor, and speed up, or slow down the speed of the fan based off the data from that sensor. This is just a guess however as I do not know the specific model fan you are using, perhaps if you would provide a link to it I could give a more educated answer.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

This is it http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999617

Someone's review states: "Since the sensor takes control RPM, I can't control it through SpeedFan any more."

Someone states: "The power connector is a standard power that you use for Drives and it has a Speed sensor or temp sensor yellow wire to the mother board. They should have tied power to that one to. But you can use any of the drives power connector to pass thru power."

He makes it sound like the yellow wire can only transfer temp and not power? (The small cable only has 1 yellow wire).

Someone writes:

"Cons: 2 power connections needed to utilize automated temperature control:
1). 3-pin on motherboard
2). Molex 4-pin to power supply directly/indirectly

Other Thoughts: i prefer 3 or 4-pin power connector but this fan has an automated temperature control which uses a 3-pin power connector. the power for the fan uses a 'molex connector' 4-pin. those concerned with cable management may not like having to deal with wiring the two connections in their case."

Will the motherboard adjust it on it's own or where would I go to adjust the speed settings? I'm afraid to touch anything in Speedfan so that I don't mess anything up.

Edited by Dream1, 14 April 2013 - 11:44 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

You are correct, the built in sensor automatically controls the fan speed, regardless of whether its plugged into the motherboard or straight to the PSU with the 4 pin molex. I can see the pros and cons of this, but in theory you should just be able to plug it in and forget about it. I don't know if youll be able to override it manually with speedfan or not, but unless your dealing with an extremely small case or you do some serious overclocking you will never need to.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:07 PM

Thanks.

#6 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

The reviews that I posted make it sound like the 3 pin cable is also required.

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

according to this guide from Vantec http://www.vantecusa.com/system/application/media/data_file/thermalflow_cable3.pdf

the black and red wires supply power to the fan. If you have a black and red wire on the 3 pin that should do it and you would not require the molex.

The yellow wire on the 3 pin is the sense wire which will alter the voltage to change the RPM's. If you use the molex to power the fan you still have to connect the yellow wire to motherboard to control RPM.

If you connect the molex and not the sense wire the fan should run at top speed all the time.

#8 Dream1

Dream1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

Ok. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users