Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes seemed to take over my CPU

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bastette

Bastette

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

Hello,

I had a paid version of MBAM on my system (Windows XP 2002 SP3), and it seemed to work fine for the year or so that it was installed. However, recently my computer would suddenly slow down to a crawl - for example, it would suddenly take 2 minutes to open a folder when I double-clicked on it. This would happen at seemingly random times, when I wasn't doing anything except reading email via a remote shell account.

I investigated the running processes on my PC and discovered that MBAM was running at 100% of CPU time. I was not doing a scan, or using any other feature of MBAM, at the time. It did run as an ongoing background process to monitor potentially malicious sites trying to gain access, but that has never hogged the CPU.

This made me suspicious, so I uninstalled MBAM, and voila - the PC now runs at a normal speed!

Has this happened to anyone else? It is possible that shortly before this started to happen, I got a popup message alerting me to an update for MBAM, but I don't remember exactly when that was or even whether it was MBAM at all (I get alerts about upgrades for various software and I wasn't keeping track of which ones happened when).

Even though I uninstalled MBAM and the PC is now running normally, is it possible that malware is still active on my PC? I'm not seeing any abnormal behavior at the moment.

And I would like to reinstall a legitimate version of MBAM, but I'm not sure how to protect myself from accessing yet another imposter site.

Thank you! I'm sorry, but I don't remember the version number of MBAM - however, I did install it in early 2012, and since it was a paid version, it must have been the latest version.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Hello Bastette, and Welcome -

This may be of little help, but the main problems of this type are involved with older, or smaller XP units only. It may pay to note that although similar to XP, Windows 2000 support was dropped a few years ago due to the fact that the newer technology is not correctly applied to earlier / smaller computers. I can best leave you with a current quote from Malwarebytes Forum, and a link to the forum area for you to post any MBAM specific problem -

I have been a member there for many years, and seen the need for changes as technology slowly upgraded (I had Windows 98 at the time), and the program has slowly moved from Win98 to Win2000 to XP and Vista. Now it is on to Windows 7 today with Windows 8 soon being covered -

(QUOTE)

What I think may be happening is that our database size has increased quite a bit and it is probably pushing some of these computers capabilities and thus making it obvious that there is an issue. Most of the newer Windows 7 or those running XP on high end computers may not be seeing this issue.

Inside MBAM try unchecking the Web blocker and set don't load it on reboot. Then reboot and see if it can load at normal speed. Then after the computer has booted and things have calmed down (you can look at your Task Manager and watch CPU usage and as it goes back to low usage and stable you can go to the next step) Then right click on the MBAM tray icon and enable the Web blocker and see how unresponsive or how long it takes to get back to normal and let me know.
As soon as we have a fix we'll let you know or possibly even push out an update to automatically fix it but in either case we'll post about it too.

(END QUOTE)

You can also post your Program Specific problems at http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=41 -
This is where the above quote is located -

Trying to find the root cause of any problems in another specific program is not easy on a "general" forum like this, so please follow my link to Malwarebytes General forum area, and become a member there to get personal help -

Thank You -

EDIT - This is posted as a private user and not a company person from here or Malwarebytes -

Edited by noknojon, 14 April 2013 - 02:22 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

And I would like to reinstall a legitimate version of MBAM, but I'm not sure how to protect myself from accessing yet another imposter site.

Thank you! I'm sorry, but I don't remember the version number of MBAM - however, I did install it in early 2012, and since it was a paid version, it must have been the latest version.

Where can I download the latest version of Malwarebytes?

v1.75.0.1300 was released 04/09/13.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

Hi -
Just a quick extra to the post from quietman7 -

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=122284
This is the Un/Re-Install methods now given by Malwarebytes for any problems regarding reinstalling all versions.
Since you have the Pro Version, please pay careful attention to the instructions listed there -

Personally I always use the BleepingComputer link (if needed) to Reinstall my Malwarebytes program -

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users