Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Motherboard Might Be Broken...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Llawred

Llawred

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:34 AM

This is an excerpt from an e-mail that I just sent to the computer guy in my dorm. However, I hate not being able to fix my own stuff, so I'm dropping a line here. You guys were so helpful last year!

I built a computer a few years ago, and while it's not perfect, it generally works. (unless the postal service uses my tower as a kickball, but that's another story) However, last night, I came back from Pub Night not drunk (seriously) and talked to my friend on AIM, checked e-mail, etc etc. I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth, came back and pressed a few keys, and the screen just went dark. It was like the computer was giving no signal to the monitor. I turned it on and off a few times, and it only really came on once...but it stopped booting when it got stuck "scanning IDE drives". Every other time, I hear the fan, I hear the HD, I hear the disk drives, but there's no beep from the motherboard. (is this called posting? I can't remember, and my boyfriend, who helped me build the thing, doesn't know what I'm talking about) This motherboard and processor are probably not a year old, so I really would be surprised if they died. Any ideas?

Thanks so much in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:24 PM

I don't know why you're assuming the worst. Don't assume that it's the motherboard.

Start with the simpler things. Look for loose connections, reseat the video card, borrow a power supply, etc.

Edited by just me, 07 April 2006 - 01:27 PM.

#3 Llawred

Llawred
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:35 PM

Hee. I assume the worst because it usually IS the worst. For me, at least.

The reason that I don't think that anything got unseated is because it happened so suddenly. It's not like I had...

Well, I did just move in. Hm.

I don't think it's the power supply, though. Stuff is still running. I'll check all the connections.

#4 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:35 PM

check cmos battery it usually is a pretty good way to keep from spending mucho dinero on a new mobo and etc... Cmos run out of charge every 2-3ish years so taht could be ur problem
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2006 - 03:54 PM

sounds like supply, try another to see if it boots. power supplys take all thr interference from the raw power in your power line. they are regularly replaced in some power problem areas. if you did just move it, maybe you should check your ide/pci connections as suggested. post back with reply.
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users