Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't start, need advice

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

Hi, for some unknown reason my other PC is refusing to start despite working fine for a couple of years. 

I press the 'power on' button and a few red/blue lights come on inside, but that's all, there's no whirring of fans or anything, and the monitor screen says 'No signal', so maybe the power supply has gone bust?

Or has the PC somehow gone into standby mode?

(The monitor is fine, I checked it on another PC)

So it looks like a trip to the local comp shop is on the cards for them to fix it (for 40 GBP/ 60 USD, groan) so this post is a last ditch attempt to fish for suggestions about what I could try myself before then? 

Its specs-

WinXP Home

Intel core2 E8600@3.33Ghz

3 Gb RAM

Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX 512Mb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:38 AM

If there is power with the desktop and no signal, try removing one stick of RAM alternately then check on the difference. Using different slots also matters as rarely it can happen, there might be also a bad memory slot.  If nothing happens then its your Video card that must have cause this no signal issue. Last try you can do is to remove and clean the gold contacts and reseatting it properly. Good Luck.

Tekken

#3 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

Hmm sounds a bit techy for me, i'm PC-challenged but will try to psyche myself up to have a crack at it thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

No life via the fans...would have me try a different PSU as a first step.

Louis

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

I admitted defeat and took it into the shop for them to look at, they fixed it for 19 GBP /30 USD after checking and testing it and said something about a component had a "loose seating" and it works fine now.

#6 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:05 AM

Aargh the exact same "won't switch on" problem is back today, despite it working fine for the past 2 weeks since the shop allegedly "fixed" it!

So it looks like another trip to cart it back to the shop again, hopefully they won't charge me anything this time.

I'll also quote Jhayz and Hamluis's posts to them to give them a possible clue.

#7 Chris Charles007

Chris Charles007

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Hi Mickin,

Also do check for any Beep Sounds made by your computer. If yes, Please post the pattern of the BEEP Sound.
Regards,
Chris
tokeepmypcup.com

#8 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:23 PM

Also do check for any Beep Sounds made by your computer. If yes, Please post the pattern of the BEEP Sound.

There are no sounds whatsoever, it's dead as a dodo. I gave up and took it into the shop a couple of days ago, they had a look at it and phoned me to say "We've found the fault, you need a new motherboard for £60 (80 US dollars) and we'll also need to reinstall your Win XP Home for a £45 labour charge"
So I had no choice but to give them the go-ahead and it'll cost me a total of £105 (150 US dollars), groan..

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

I could see that train coming...sorry, but it happens all too often, IMO.

Motherboards do go bad...but, if that was the problem...why was that not adddressed on any earlier visit?  Rhetorical question, no answer expected...but I think I'd take my computer repair business somewhere else that can diagnose/test correctly...the first time.

Louis

#10 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

We think alike, I've already started asking around to try to find a different comp shop round here, but I don't drive so it can't be too far afield or i'll run up a big taxi bill.(I'm also looking around for an expert who can pop over to my place to help me like the Lone Ranger for a small fee)
PS- In fairness to the shop (which is just a 10-minute walk away in town), it was an intermittent fault which are the hardest sort to pin down. If the new m/board doesn't fix it once and for all i'll have to start getting tough with them..

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 26 May 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:50 PM

after checking and testing it and said something about a component had a "loose seating" and it works fine now.

Wondering what could be that loose seating but worked for atleast 2 weeks... then decided it was a faulty motherboard? Sometimes its good to know and ask what caused it to understand and then refer it to people who also have background and skills in hardware repairs. This is where bleeping computer or other forums comes into place. :) The cause and solution that works benefits the user and also to members/guests who research and queries.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users