Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions for fixing a broken laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gadolinium

gadolinium

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Hello,

My laptop crashed a few days ago while I was browsing the internet.  Afterwards, whenever I've tried to start it up, I've gotten a blue screen before Windows could launch.  I then get a message about the laptop needing to prepare automatic repairs.  The computer restarts, then seems to idle for 5 minutes before blue screening again.  So far I've tried using Toshiba's built-in option for a hard drive wipe as well as restoring it to factory settings, but neither have worked.  I'm looking into more complex attempts to fix this, but I was wondering about a few questions first:

1.  If the bulit-in option for resetting the computer to factory defaults doesn't fix whatever causes my computer to crash, is the problem at least partially hardware based, or would reinstalling the os from disc have a possibility of working?

2.  Is the most likely source of this failure with the computer's hard drive?  The laptop doesn't have any visible damage to it, but the touchpad stopped working properly a week before the crash.

3.  Are there any hard drive compatibility issues I should watch out for if I buy a replacement hd?

Thanks in advance for any advice provided.

Computer model: Toshiba satellite C855-S5111

Edit: I'm aware this topic is in the wrong forum, but I couldn't find an option for deleting this to post it elsewhere.

Edited by gadolinium, 13 April 2013 - 01:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BrianMac1964

BrianMac1964

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

You can give Spinrite a try and see if it finds any issues with the HDD. As long as the replacement HDD is the same form factor, and at least the same capacity, there shouldn't be any problems. I just went through this same thing myself.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

Does the system even get to the Windows loading screen? I would Run Memtest86 and the HDD manufacture's Utility to test the HDD. If I remember correctly Toshiba's ship with Hitachi HDD Download the DFT tool I linked to and burn the ISO. Boot from the cd and test the drive..

Credit:

Thanks to John Carrona For listing the download for DFT, 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users