Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling programs by technically ignorant folks

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

This question concerns uninstalling programs from Windows 7. From the Control Panel, clicking on "Uninstall a program" displays the list of all installed software. I am technically savvy so I know how to choose what I need to uninstall without adversely affecting the basic operation of my laptop. No problem.

However if an individual was technically ignorant, then the list of programs presented by the "Uninstall or change a program" display would be daunting. Would be nice if this list was actually two lists: one list that should (almost) never be touched for fear of screwing up the basic operation of the computer, and a second list of optional software that could be safely uninstalled without impact on basic computer operation. Is there a way to get such a division of the optional software programs that can be uninstalled?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:36 PM

It would be nice, but I have just had a look at the list of installed software on this laptop ( my wife's ) and I don't see anything mission critical in the list. It certainly doesn't seem to list anything that look to me like operating system files.

In my experience as a volunteer sysadmin ( it wasn't me that did the volunteering ! ) the problem is usually friends and family installing software willy-nilly, without any consideration as to whether or not it is a good idea, and regardless of its possible effects on other installed software.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users