Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 tutorial for seniors?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

I know some folks in their 60's and 70's who have purchased their first computer. They would like an easy to understand, step-by-step, Windows 7 tutorial. I searched via google and could not find a really good tutorial that I would feel comfortable in recommending.

Does anyone know of a good tutorial that you would recommend for these folks?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

Don't really know of any real in-depth tutorials. But there are some very good books out there. One that stands out in my mind is an instructional publication. If memory

serves correctly it was a publication by Paul McFedries called " Teach Yourself Visually, Microsoft Windows 7". There are step by step instructions and as the title

suggests it has visuals. Might search some retailers for it.

Hope this helps        www.barnesandnoble.com/w/teach-yourself-visually-windows...

Edited by sikntired, 13 April 2013 - 06:57 PM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

I have always been able to recommend the two series of guides 'An Idiot's guide to xxx' and 'xxx for Dummies'.

Both series start by explicitly stating the assumptions they make about existing knowledge, are very clear, and include a very welcome element of humour. 'xxx' because both cover a much wider range of subjects than an intro to Windows 7.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:45 PM

I find that...learning what the search menus are for...and how to use them...along with understanding how to use Google...will also facilitate any user attempting to get used to Win 7.

There is no "tutorial" that could possibly cover all the different aspecs of an O/S...but they do allow users to have some familiarity with the various nuances which combine to blend in an O/S.

Louis

#5 jfruch1

jfruch1

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Not knowing where you are located, check around your area to see if there is a local computer club.  Here in Spring Hill, FL we have an excellent one with over 800 members and lots of instructional opportunities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users