Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot (Overclock Settings Have Failed)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 strawberryfields

strawberryfields

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:06 AM

Hoping someone can help. This is a pretty new computer (January).

Intel i3-3220
MSI B75MA-E33
MSI Radeon HD 7750
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12
8 GB Ram, Corsair Builder 430W
Windows 7

Computer was working fine this afternoon. Suddenly tonight, when I went to turn it on it won't boot up. Simple black screen, solid cursor line top left corner, B4 in the bottom right corner.

Twice after several minutes I got this message:

All settings were reset to default values.
The previous overclock settings have failed, system has been restored to its default settings.
Press F1 to run setup.
Press F2 to load default values and run setup.

The first time I got to the Bios screen but have no idea what I'm doing there, tried to reboot and ended up with the black screen again. The second time I pressed F1 and F2 but nothing happened.

WTF is going on? I have never attempted to overclock. I have been playing a video game quite a lot lately. About a week ago I got a new 24-inch monitor for 1920x1080 (replacing a 19-inch 1366x768) but it has been problem free until now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 strawberryfields

strawberryfields
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:31 AM

A quick update. After leaving it on the "black screen" for a while after pressing F2, it appeared to move into a Safe Mode-style Startup Repair program. At the end of the process, it listed a number of items stating "Test Performed: Completed Successfully". However, at the bottom it listed these two items:

Root Cause Found:

Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem.

Repair action: System Restore

Result: Failed. Error Code = 0x1F

Repair action: System files integrity check and repair

Result: Failed. Error Code = 0x490

After checking out of that screen, the computer rebooted and lo and behold actually booted up properly. I am assuming it reverted to a previous configuration, but am now afraid to turn the computer off.

Any idea what that was all about, what I should do next? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

Could be the CMOS battery, although it should not be if that's a new motherboard.  That would be my first guess.

FWIW:  http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-system/ststem-restore-error-code-0x490-and-sys-file/efa79e48-1ef6-47d1-85f2-1b1e374c0ec2

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users