Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Turns Off Unexpectedly While Accessing BIOS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mech5501

mech5501

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:26 AM

Acer Aspire 5515 running Windows 7 Home premium.

My laptop runs just fine while running Windows, but when I try to access the BIOS or other pre-boot settings (F8 key at startup), I only get about 30 seconds in each section/menu before my laptop just turns off.  Also, I can't restart my laptop without it turning off after a minute or so.  I have to shut it down, wait at least 2 minutes, then start it up again and it runs just fine every single time.  

Is there some sort of timer setting somewhere that would cause the machine to shut down like that after a certain amount of time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

I am not sure it this would help but, try going to Search programs and files by clicking Start and type msconfig. See if the preset options are the same in the image below.

LD5L51I.jpg

Tekken

#3 mech5501

mech5501
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

@jhayz:  I checked my msconfig and it looks exactly like your screenshot.  I wasn't aware that I could even access boot items like that.  Even though it didn't solve my problem, I really appreciate the info  :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users