Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple dillhost.exe running in Task Manager

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 scare

scare

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

Hello. When i first turn on TM (task manager) i'll have three dillhost.exe running. When i try and click on them two will leave and one will stay and show a service and path. Turn TM off and right back on and the other two are back. If i move mouse anywhere in TM and try to click on one they both leave. I can leave TM on and they never appear. Soon as i turn off and back on they will be running in TM agin. As long as i don't move mouse they stay utill you try and catch them. I have tryed these different scanners (MSE,Malwarebytes, windows malicious software removal tool, super antispyware, microsoft safety scanner, check dics and also google but find nothing. Am now having performance degregation. OS windows 7 hp service pack1, IE 10, MSE. Any clues for a total novice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

"The COM+ hosting process controls processes in Internet Information Services (IIS) and is used by many programs. For example, it loads the .NET runtime. There can be multiple instances of the DLLhost.exe process running."

From http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/dllhost.exe.html .

Louis

#3 scare

scare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

Hello, in reply to moderator. Thanks for replying. The link you provided (http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/dllhost.exe.html) i had already found and read all the post pryer to posting here and and left with only wasting my time since there is no answer there. I also know that there can be multiple dillhost.exe running at the same time. I have seen as many as five. I am talking about two that will not let me click on them. Any others will let me click on them, show properties, and a service running with them. Two will not. If i see five running in task manager and try and click on one, be it one that stays or leaves two will allways leave and the others will stay. So i dont think i know how to ask the question. Let me ask this. Do you ever show a dllhost.exe in your task manager? If you do are you able to click on it and it not leave before you can get info for it? The two i have you are not fast enough to click on. scare......Also i notice a link to forum rules which i have read. I am brand new here and find some problems navigating. If i am not learning fast enough, Just tell me to get lost. If i have wasted your time then i am sorry. If i have posted my question out of this forums perimeters, i am sorry agin. I will continue looking elsewhere as long as my machine will last.

Edited by scare, 13 April 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Currently...this system has no such process running, although there was one instance yesterday before I posted.

Beyond that, I can't tell you anything about it...why it appears...when it appears, etc.

If you want, you can use a tool like Process Explorer as you try to figure it all out.

Process Explorer Mini-guide and Screenshots - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic354690.html

Process Explorer Tutorial - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic353933.html#entry1975652

Process Explorer - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

Louis

#5 scare

scare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

hi , i dont have a clue as to what you have said.  No help here. Can i delete this post? Or someone else? I'm lust going to wipe hard drive and reinstall. thanks

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

Most of the processes in Windows Task Manager will be legitimate but it does not provide enough information.

What hamluis is saying is that there are tools to investigate running processes, programs that run at startup, services and gather additional information to identify them or resolve problems:

This is a list of several such tools:
  • Process Explorer
  • System Explorer - System Explorer Portable
  • ProcessHacker - (requires Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or above to use)
  • AnVir TaskManager Free
  • Autoruns
  • Process Monitor
  • Microsoft ProcDump
  • svchostViewer
  • svchost.exe Lookup Tool
  • ProcessThreadsView
  • These tools will provide information about each process, CPU usage, file description and its path location. Most of them are stand-alone apps in a zip file so no installation is necessary.

-- System Explorer provides a security check of running processing using their online security database when you first launch the program. Just press the Security Scan tab at the top, then click Start Security Check. After the check you can click the link to See the results of the security check >>. Keep in mind, that the check is not a guarantee of what is or is not detected as malware.

-- Process Explorer shows two panes by default: the upper pane is always a process list and the bottom pane either shows the list of DLLs loaded into the process selected in the upper pane, or the list of operating system resource handles (files, Registry keys, synchronization objects) the process has open. In the menu at the top select View > Lower Pane View to change between DLLs and Handles.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 scare

scare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

Thanks, two i have already done, (Autoruns and Process Monitor). I will try the others. they would show in Process Monitor but would act like TM. Could not move mouse on them without them leaving.

#8 scare

scare
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Hello, Thanks to all helping. Have tryed all above suggested links above and nothing has worked. I did find one corrupt 3rd party program and have fixed. However the strange acting dll's are still showing up and machine is still having performance degregation. In some of the checking the 2 dillhost.exe would show up as it does in task manager. 1 good  dill is allways there that shows ownership, file path and everything. The other other 2 still will not let you click on them plus some of the tools that showed the 2 dill's showed no ownership or file paths. I'll keep looking and hope machine dosen't get to an unuseable state. Its like watching the grass grow now. Thanks agin scare 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users