Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc slow--internet speeds are slow

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 fred93

fred93

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

My wife’s pc---

Specs are :

Windows7 64-bit OS (full retail version)

Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Contiuous power ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V 80 PLUS CERTIFIED ACTIVE PFC POWER SUPPLY

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB HD

Intel i7-2600K  Sandy Bridge 3.40GHz *(3.8 GHz Turbo Boost) 8MB Cache  LGS1155,  95W  CPU  Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Intel DH67BL  Unlocked & Unleashed--MB

Trend Micro Anti Virus --continually updated

16GB Ram

Two DVD Burners

2.0 TB Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk External HD for a backup

My PC specs are:

System info:

Intel Core i5 CPU K655 @ 3.20GHz  3.19 GHz

MB--Intel  DH55HC

RAM--4.00 GB

Windows 7   64-bit OS

2--Seagate 500GB SATA NCQ 16MB HDs

Trend Micro Anti Virus --continually updated

Recently my wife has been complaining that her pc has been very slow--both on the internet and off. So I did a speed test on her pc for the internet and found download speed was .82Mbps and upload was .08Mbps (we currently have DSL with AT&T and it normally runs 5.60Mbps down and .41Mbps up)

The next day I tested my pc and the results were 5.61Mbps down & .41Mbps up. So I figured that the night before was just a glitch and now everything was okay. WRONG---as soon as she turned on her pc the readings went back to 82Mbps down & upload was .08Mbps again!!

By the way both pc’s are connected to a AT&T router with Ethernet cables--which I changed but still had the same problem.

I tried to see what was running on her pc but I couldn’t tell if any programs could/should be deleted/turn off. (The wife does book keeping for four different businesses so she has Quick Books & Excel running all the time. Plus one company has been providing her with online backup.

I ran Malwarebytes Anti Malware quick scan and it found nothing. I did a TFC scan to remove temp files. I deleted the temp files in IE 9 and Google Chrome. STILL NO CHANGE!

So what I have at this point is, whenever my wife turns on her pc the internet speed slows to a stand still for BOTH of our pc’s. If we turn off her pc--mine has good internet speeds. If she has her pc on and mine is off--her speed is still slow. Also my wife says that her pc is slower even when she is NOT on the internet ( I haven’t pulled the Ethernet cable from her pc to see if that changes anything--but I will as soon as I can)

Please help me!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:25 AM

Hi fred93 :)

Let me see if I can help some of your issue. Run this with the troubled computer. If there is a problem with internet connection, copy the software by USB flash drive and transfer them to the problematic PC and then extract the logs back to the flash drive so you could post them back on your next reply.

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Download SecurityCheck.exe from Here

. Run SecurityCheck and follow the instruction from inside the code box.
. When the scan is finished, a notepad will automatically open as check.txt
   Please copy and paste the contents here on your next reply.

Can you post also the Router/Modem model next time? Thank you.

Tekken

#3 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

Thanks for the reply--I will do the items that you have recommended--but the pc in question is in use right now so I will need to wait until later today.

BTW--this morning I turned on the wife's pc and then I turned on my pc. I did a speed test and it was very low--I then unplugged the Ethernet cable to my wife's pc--the speed went back up to normal.

#4 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sgFOXMwGveZNRzcb1ITmEAN

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.62 
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled) 
 Internet Explorer 9 
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Firewall Enabled! 
Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security  
 Antivirus up to date!  
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300 
 Java 7 Update 9 
 Java version out of Date!
 Adobe Reader 9 
 Adobe Reader XI 
 Google Chrome 26.0.1410.43 
 Google Chrome 26.0.1410.64 
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent```````` 
 Common Files Microsoft Shared Microsoft Online Services smss.exe -?-
 Common Files Microsoft Shared Microsoft Online Services MSOIDSVC.EXE
 Common Files Microsoft Shared Microsoft Online Services MSOIDSvcm.exe
 Trend Micro AMSP coreServiceShell.exe 
 Trend Micro UniClient UiFrmWrk uiWatchDog.exe
 Trend Micro AMSP coreFrameworkHost.exe 
 Trend Micro AMSP AMSP_LogServer.exe 
 Trend Micro UniClient UiFrmWrk uiSeAgnt.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 0%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

I started the troubled pc in safe mode with networking and then did a speed test--the numbers were normal--5.62 down & .42 up

The modem is a AT&T 2Wire 336  I did not see a model number.

I did go to "msconfig" start up but there was not too many things that I could delete--there were many items which I just didn't even know what they were used for.

Let me know if you need now info!

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

If it worked fine in safemode in networking, try disabling your Trend Micro Antivirus Protection features and check your internet speed again in normal mode. Try also using the other router's ethernet ports and check the difference.

Tekken

#6 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

No appreciable difference with Trend Micro turned off. I tried switching the Ethernet ports and that did not change anything either. I checked on the Task Manager to see what is running --there are a lot of programs running but I don't want to turn any off since I don't know what trouble I will cause! I have taken some pictures of the list of programs and the performance graphs in Task Manager--however since beeping will only allow small sized pix it will take some work to post them. If you feel that I need to post that info let me know and I will figure out something.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

Did you happen to change your ISP modem/router due to the same bandwith problem? If you happen to keep the Trend Micro Installer by the shelf or internally on the hard drive, I would completely uninstall it also.

Tekken

#8 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

I have not changed the modem/router

Are you saying that Trend Mirco might be the problem?

If I completely uninstall Trend Mirco should I be able to see a change right away if it is the problem?

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

There are only a couple of things that might be slowing that particular PC. A hardware problem (router/cable or bad network card) or Software (Driver, Protection Software/Antivirus or Virus). Since it worked flawlessly in Safemode in Networking, there is the big possibility that the installed Antivirus is the culprit. See if it makes a difference after completely removing Trend Micro.

Tekken

#10 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:24 PM

Ok I uninstalled Trend Mirco and restarted the pc---ran a speedtest--still in the gutter---.92 down & .11 up

I just remembered something though--when I bought the AT&T router some years back, they sent me a second one by mistake (I guess)

Should I try changing out the router---if so is there anything that I need to do with the new router? or just pull the cables out of the old one and plug into the new one?

#11 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

Trend Mirco uninstalled----Windows Defender turned off---Windows Firewall turned off---same problem .80 down & .10 up

Edited by fred93, 14 April 2013 - 09:01 PM.

#12 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

What should I do next?

#13 Archangel1630

Archangel1630

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

Check to see if you have the latest Firmware version on your router.  If you dont that is likely the reason for the unstable internet.

#14 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

Okay so I went ahead and unchecked ALL items in msconfig "startup" and then I rstarted the pc ---still had the same problem!  Then I unchecked ALL in the msconfig "services" and restarted the pc and checked the DSL speed--WOW up to speed BABY!!! So then I did the recheck in ALL the boxes in the "startup" and one by one in the "services"--I found a program for IASO Backup Technology that was the bad boy! I left that program unchecked in "service"  and I now have a working pc again!   Thanks for your help--as always you guys are the best!

Edited by fred93, 15 April 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

Thank you for letting us know you got it resolved fred.:)

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users