Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Constantly reads the DVD ROM drive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 WarpSpeedo

WarpSpeedo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

I just got a new ASUS laptop that came with Windows 8. Being the computer geek I am the very first thing I did was upgrade to Pro with Media Center. The problem I'm having now is that every 20 minutes or so the system will read the DVD drive regardless if I have anything in it or not. I've tried uninstalling all the ASUS bloatware and still the drive reads fairly regularly.  The only AV software I have installed is Windows Defender and It appears not to be scanning the optical drive. I'm at a loss here.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Is there any media in the drive?

#3 WarpSpeedo

WarpSpeedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

The behavior is the same if there is media in the drive or not. 

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

Sorry for the delay. Are there any bios updates available for your laptop? If so, install and see if that helps.

Also will this happen when using it or only when idle?

#5 WarpSpeedo

WarpSpeedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

I am running the latest BIOS from ASUS on the laptop and it didn't appear to change the behavior at all. Also the drive scans randomly when in use and idle. The hard drive is getting scanned at the same time too which is odd. It's almost like Windows 8 wants enumerate the contents of every drive every 20 minutes or so. 

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:04 PM

Check the indexer and see if its indexing your drive for some reason.

Also do you have any automatic backup software installed?

#7 WarpSpeedo

WarpSpeedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

No auto backup software, Indexer is set to scan some locations on the c:\ Drive but not the DVD Burner at all. Even with the indexing service killed the system still scans the drive at random times. (I'm thinking its almost every 20 minutes) The issue does not appear in safe mode however. I tried doing a clean boot in normal mode and the issue still occurs. 

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

What I suggest is you download procmon and run it for about an hour. When you run it, click on the File menu and select Backing File. Select Use file name: and then specify a file that you wish to store the procmon history to. If you do not make this change, you can quickly fill up available memory.

Once this is done, stop capturing, close procmon, and start it again. Then start capturing.

This is going to be the PITA part. Try and catch when the DVD access is concurring and then pause the procmon capture. Look through the events and see if you can see any processes starting around the same time and trying to access the dvd drive.

#9 WarpSpeedo

WarpSpeedo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

I've looked in this program before but was unable to see anything... I think I might just need to let it run for longer and record the times I notice the drive spinning. Is there anyway this could miss the program making the drive spin?

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

Definitely possible. There is so much information presented that it can be definitely hard to spot.

One other thought that comes to mind is power saving. Try disabling powersaving and see if it stops.

#11 anyrepli

anyrepli

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:45 AM

This is a real long shot but check to see if hot-plugging (for your DVD drive) is enabled in you BIOS (if you have that option). If so, disable it and see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users