Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New DVD Drive Not Detected

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eddie84

eddie84

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

I feel stupid asking this as its an easy thing to do but im having problems adding a new DVD drive. My old drive gave up this morning ive got a working one from an old tower but windows wont detect it in device manager or bios and i cant see why.

The cables are all in correctly and ive had the jumper set to master and cable select but no luck. The drive opens so its got power but there is nothing in device manager at all.

Ive fitted graphics cards, memeory and hard drives before and never had this much trouble any ideas would be welcomed. Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 13 April 2013 - 11:40 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Is the drive on the end connector...with the jumper setting at Cable Select (the default setting from optical drive manufacturers)?  Are there other devices on that cable?

How old is this old drive plucked from an older system?  The IDE cables for drives have changed over the years.  what model is the drive pulled from your other system?

Louis

#3 eddie84

eddie84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for the reply my old drive i removed is a philips PBDV1660B/00 and the drive i have put in is a Samsung 16E SD-616 both were manufactured in 2006 so im guessing they are the same type. It is the only device on the IDE cable and ive tried the jumper on both cable select and master. Ive put the faulty drive back in that is detected straight away and the replacement drive works fine in my old tower so dont know what im doing wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users