Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP laptop, media player not working, HP support not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 julie35

julie35

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:33 PM

Hi all, 

I'm not too technically minded so I'll explain this as best I can and hope somebody can help me out.

A few weeks ago my media player stopped working - it flashes onto the screen for a split second and then disappears or just doesn't respond at all. Also the HP Advisor isn't working properly and keeps saying "an error ocurred" links don't work on the help section so I went to the HP site to try to get help there. I opened one of these instant help chat boxes and a technician  phoned me, said he could help etc mentioned a one off charge and it took me half an hour to find out how much etc. He had remote access to my laptop and was running scans that found several thousand problems and now I'm worried that he may have "planted" something in my pc. When I told him I couldn't pay what he was asking he finished the call pretty quick and left me to it.

How do I fix my problem and how do I found out if he left something malicious on my pc? I'm scared to do internet banking now :-( 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

Those are questions that you should be asking HP support, IMO.

As for what your problem with Media Player...what version is installed?...

Louis

#3 julie35

julie35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

How do I find out what version it is? 

#4 julie35

julie35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

Problem solved :-)  somebody just told me about this.... http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_media_player_diagnostic   It fixed it in a couple of minutes :-) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users