Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 patch can cause Fatal System Error warnings

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

I guess this is one way MS can make sure no one gets infected.

Windows 7 users should uninstall a security patch Microsoft issued on Tuesday because some PCs failed to restart after applying the update.

The software giant advised users of Win 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2* to roll-back a patch within MS13-036, a security update that closed two vulnerabilities in the Windows file system kernel-mode driver. Exactly how one nukes the wobbly patch is explained here.

The advice follows complaints that after applying the update computers would either fail to restart or applications would not load. Users who experienced problems were sometimes confronted by "fatal system error" warnings on start up, as illustrated by Sophos here.

Quote from: The Register article by John Leyden on April 12, 2013 for complete article click here.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

I am assuming this has not been fixed yet.

I ask cause this is the only update I have not installed but it shows up when I click on windows update.

Posted Image

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Topic Starter

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Additional information: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/491498/microsoft-pulls-security-update-for-windows-and-windows-server/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#4 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:08 PM

Started getting lots of alerts Wednesday about computers we monitor having corrupt and unusable hard drives. Turns out this is the cause as is on the new computer my boss just loaded Windows 7 on. Got all of the updates and installed Kaspersky and started BSODing, going to wipe this one out and reload.

And uninstalling the patch doesn't stop checkdisk from running at every boot on every computer. Seems to something with Kaspersky for sure as I have Avast free on my home computer and have had the patch installed the day it came out without any problems. I uninstalled the patch anyway just because I don't feel so good right now, this may cause me some headaches as most of our customers computers run Kaspersky!!!

#5 joshuals

joshuals

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:43 PM

No problems yet with this update, running on Dell Inspiron 15R N5010, Windows 7 Home Premium, with Norton360 and MBAM. Update was installed on April 10. Think I'll leave well-enough alone.

#6 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:44 AM

Both the desktop and laptop at Casa de Winterland are running Win 7 Home Premium and have not (thankfully) encountered any issues.

The first link in the OP (MS13-036) that Animal provided does indicate that:

Most customers have automatic updating enabled and will not need to take any action because this security update will be downloaded and installed automatically.

That appears to be us as both machines are set up for automatic updating and neither one of us encountered any issues booting up and logging on.

*whew*

Animal, thanks for the post, links and info.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#7 gapwheat

gapwheat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

Winterland, 

Glad your not having problems, but I think you may have missread the posting.  Microsoft is telling users to rollback OP (MS13-036) that was automatically posted last week, because it in fact caused the problem, and that users shoud uninstall the patch.  This is another reason that computers should consider not setting up automatic updates no matter what Microsoft says.  Microsoft is notorious for putting out problem causing updates and then taking their time fixing the problem.

Microsoft did say that it only affected some computers. I only had one computer out of 7 in my office that had the problem, so there may not be too many computers that it did affected but it did indicate that the patch should be rolled back even if there wasn't a problem.  This is the link that was posted above the best explains the situation:  by Sophos here.

#8 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:48 PM

*rats*

Now I understand...thanks for the post gapwheat.

Gotta go uninstall and reboot. Wish me luck.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#9 JHarts

JHarts

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

Winterland, 

Glad your not having problems, but I think you may have missread the posting.  Microsoft is telling users to rollback OP (MS13-036) that was automatically posted last week, because it in fact caused the problem, and that users shoud uninstall the patch.  This is another reason that computers should consider not setting up automatic updates no matter what Microsoft says.  Microsoft is notorious for putting out problem causing updates and then taking their time fixing the problem.

Microsoft did say that it only affected some computers. I only had one computer out of 7 in my office that had the problem, so there may not be too many computers that it did affected but it did indicate that the patch should be rolled back even if there wasn't a problem.  This is the link that was posted above the best explains the situation:  by Sophos here.

Thanks Gapwheat - to you and everyone else here for the continuous stream of helpful info. I would like to strangle the people at MS.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Topic Starter

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

KB2840149 update for Windows 7 released, replaces botched update that caused infinite reboots

KB2840149 Quick Details

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#11 DavidTang

DavidTang

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

Thanks for the reminder friends. Will be aware of this.

Having a laptop and desktop with W7. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users