Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

the drive is locked?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bolthead20

bolthead20

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:09 AM

I tried to refresh my PC. Windows 8 64-bit. Now it tells me no operating system is found. When I try to install from CD-Rom. It tells me. The drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again. I have no idea how to do this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:01 PM

Where exactly does it give this error? At what point in the install process? Have you tried deleting the partition first and then installing (If you do this, you will lose any data on the drive, so only do it if your data is backed up).

#3 bolthead20

bolthead20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

Hello. I can get to the point of installation where you pick your language etc. Or repair your PC. I click install now type in my code and it says we cant verify it. I pick repair my PC and it either says drive is locked or no is is found. Also in advanced mode it shows my computer. When I click on it I see my drives. C.D.E.F. WINDOWS was on E reserve on F and they are completely empty. Control Panel and other options say catastrophic failed. I don't have any clue as to what may have caused this to happen. But it gives me an opportunity to learn more about PC's and im very eager to fix this or at least have fun trying.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:11 AM

Did you enabled any kind of encryption in your System like EFS or Bitlocker ?

#5 bolthead20

bolthead20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 05:08 AM

Yes. I believe that I did. What does it mean if that's the case?

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

Hi

Can you post more details ?. Are you trying to repair Windows or creating a new refresh image ?

You should disable encryption before creating refresh image. Can you boot normally to Windows ?. Which drives are encrypted and what tool is used - Bitlocker ?

#7 bolthead20

bolthead20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

No I can't even get my PC to boot at all. All I get is the bios. Screen goes black and says no OS is found.

#8 bolthead20

bolthead20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:52 AM

Ok. This is the exact message I'm getting on my screen. RECOVERY. The Boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system. file:\Boot\BCD. Error code: 0xc0000098. You'll need to use the recovery tools on your installation media. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc or USB device) contact your system administrator or PC manufacturer. That's what it says right now.

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:29 AM

Do you have any important data in your PC. If it does, use puppy linux to boot from CD and backup you data first. Download puppy from  http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

Here is a how to guide if you are unfamiliar with Linux : http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/274691-use-puppy-linux-live-cd-to-recover-your-data/

The error you posted may result from a wide variety of reasons ranging from improper shutdown to faulty HDD. It is always wise to test your HDD for errors before trying to repair or reinstall the OS. Identify your HDD brand first to download and run the suitable test tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users