Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do I need to find a wifi signal on my XP laptop?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pshill33

pshill33

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

I just reinstalled the OS on my laptop, and would like to know which drivers or download I need to access the internet via wifi.  I get my signal from a free wifi public wifi.  When I set up, it asked if I connected to the internet through a cable or another option, I think I incorrectly chose cable, should I reinstall?  Or can I just download the proper drivers and be able to find a signal from there? 

I access the internet on another computer and transfer whatever I need via USB.  Thanks for looking.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

Tell us the model of your laptop, so we can provide you proper drivers.

Edited by TwinHeadedEagle, 11 April 2013 - 03:26 PM.

#3 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

Hi

You'll need to download your drivers from your manufacture. Unfortunately, without any info it's rather hard to provide proper links or offer much help. Also note that public wifi is high insecure as it is usually not encrypted and can make it easy for others with not much experience to see what you browse or information you send from email or forms etc.

#4 pshill33

pshill33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for the answers.  It's a Dell Latitude C610

#5 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

No problem!

Here's the drivers support page. It's better to put your service tag in as that will find your exact computer and show only the drivers for your build. For whatever reason you don't have it (wore off for example) here's your model. This has all the options available for that model and can include things you don't have.

Edited by DarkSnake-Kobra, 11 April 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#6 pshill33

pshill33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

Thanks DarkSnake-Kobra.  Which download will give me a driver for wifi access?  I'm having trouble finding out.

#7 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:06 PM

No problem! It's impossible for me to know what card you have and what drivers would work. Um, you'll probably have to wait for somebody with more experience on this. I'm not so good with finding this stuff out. Somebody with more experience should be able to help determine this. :)

#8 pshill33

pshill33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:09 PM

Thank you sir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users