Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to boot into Win 7 after update

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DakotaKid

DakotaKid

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

Last night my Win 7 x64 was updated through Automatic Updates.  Now it fails to boot up.  It gets to the Windows splash and keeps cycling/restarting.  When I turned on the monitor this morning it was at the recovery console.  I ran it, but it says that nothing was found or that it couldn't repair  (I forget the exact message).  So I did a cold boot, and that's when I found that it would keep restaring itself.

I am able to boot into Safe Mode with networking, updated and ran a full Malwarebytes scan, and it came back with a clean bill of health.

I also tried to run the repair from the Win 7 DVD, and it finds nothing.

My thought is to get a new sata drive and do a clean install, but i'd like to avoid that, as I hate to think of reinstalling all of the software etc.

Any words of wisdom?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

Have you tried system restore?

Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start

Edited by TwinHeadedEagle, 11 April 2013 - 03:29 PM.

#3 DakotaKid

DakotaKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

Have you tried system restore?

Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start

Tried that, no go.  I've basically tried everything that a google search produced.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:36 PM

Try seeing this link if anything is related to your case http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/491498/microsoft-pulls-security-update-for-windows-and-windows-server/#entry3025512

Tekken

#5 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:46 PM

Are you using Kaspersky? There was an glitch with Kaspersky and Windows Update within last patch tuesday, making systems unbootable. You just have to boot into safe mode and delete recent Windows Updates...

Edited by TwinHeadedEagle, 15 April 2013 - 04:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users