Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop boot takes longer than before.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bomblast

bomblast

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

I am using a laptop with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit having intel i7 3rd generation processor, 1TB harddisk, 8 GB RAM, 2GB dedicated graphics from Nvidia which I purchased a few months ago. I thought such high conguration computers would remain fast always but it is not so. I have been using this laptop for quite a time but at that time the maximum time I kept the laptop on was for 3-4 hours. At this time my laptop boot was quick to boot. But suddenly due to my requirements, I have to leave the laptop running for 8-9 hours. Now, I have to wait for longer time to boot. So what is the problem? Also I would like to mention that I have to keep downloading data and so my harddisk has got filled up more than before. So is this the reason? Please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

Hi, BomBlast,

You are right, it is not so !  Boot times increase for a number of reasons but mainly because of the number of services and programs that get included in the automatic load at start-up list. This can be controlled throught the Device Manager. By and large, if you don't need something to run regardless of whether you are going to need it or not, then set it to start manually rather than automatically. All this means is that it that particular service won't start until you start the application calling for it running.

The amount of on time on your computer should not affect its boot time at all, my own computer is usually on from about 0900 to midnight +, without any side effects.

However, you say you are downloading a lot of data and your hard drive is filling up. That is to be expected, but have you cleaned out your temporary file collection or done a defrag recently ?  Both of these will slow your computer down.

You can get a very good temporary file cleaner from here :-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/ccleaner/

Only one word of warning - make sure that the box against Reg-Edit is unticked before you run it, going into the Registry can be dangerous.

If you don't like the Windows defragmenter - it can be very slow, the same company who make CCleaner make a good (free) defragmenter, you can get it here :-

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Regards,

Chris Cosgrove

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:21 AM

As Chris Cosgrove states, if your system is slow, you may have too many applications loading at startup when Windows boots. Almost all applications you install want to startup when Windows loads. If you allow all these startups, they will compete for and use system resources resulting in poor performance and a slow system. Many of these programs are not needed and disabling them can save resources and improve performance as they are available from the Start Menu > All Programs or an icon on the Desktop if needed. Other reasons for Slowness, freezing and performance issues include disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, unnecessary services running, too many browser Add-ons/toolbars, failure to clear browser cache, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. Incompatible browser extensions and add-ons can impact system performance and cause compatibility issues such as application hangs (freezing).

As you use your system it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down and behave oddly so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential. For more information about trimming down the number of startup applications, please refer to Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. Scroll down to the section titled "• Check for any unnecessary applications loading when Windows Boots" and use a Startup Manager.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users