Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with sound issues

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Crumbs

Crumbs

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

Hi all,

I have installed and uninstalled several sound recording software today (Total Recorder, Free Sound Recorder, etc.), because I really wanted to record some streaming audio, and I somehow couldn't get Audacity to do it.

Anyway, after I uninstalled the various applications that I tried recording with, I restarted my PC and from then on I have a red "X" sign on my sound tray icon. When I hover over it it says "No Audio Output Device is installed".

So I opened my Device Manager, and suddenly a list of drivers under sound appear with a yellow exclamation point (see attached photo).

Things I tried:

1) Reinstalling the drivers, but when I do it says "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date". I also tried reinstalling them manually from my driver CD successfully, but that didn't solve the problem.
When I double-click these items in the Device Manager, the device status says:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

2) System Restore, but because all of the driver reinstallations I did, I didn't have a far enough restore point...

3) sfc /scannow

4) Restarting with "Last working configuration"

I searched many forums and tried some other fixes, but nothing worked.. I would really appreciate any help, I really don't want to reformat and reinstall Windows...

Thanks,
Jonathan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

Uninstall the drivers from programs and features

Click start

Type appwiz.cpl in Start Search and press Enter

Search for the sound driver package and uninstall the package

Restart the computer and check.

You may also try to install the latest version of the sound card driver from the manufacturer’s website.

Edited by chrisd87, 11 April 2013 - 01:07 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users