Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want opinions on this WOW! computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

My 62 y/o father wants a computer (for research) and wanted me to check out one he saw an ad for. I have an opinion about the computer, but I'd like to get more opinions from more knowledgeable people.

So here are the system specs as well as more information on the computer - http://www.mywowcomputer.com/faqs.html

Screen                     20" High Definition, 16:9 Widescreen Panel (1600 x 900 pixels)
Processor                AMD® Dual-Core E-350 (1.6GHz) Processor
Memory                    2G DDR3 / DDR3 SO-DIMM x 2 Slots
Hard Drive                500GB 3.5" SATA II
Disk Drive                Tray-in DVD Super Multi
Webcam                   Built-in Webcam with microphone
Touch Screen           Multi Touch Screen
Rear Input/Output     4 USB ports, 1 microphone in, 1 earphone out, 10/100/1000 LAN
Side Input/Output      1 Card Reader with 6-in-1 memory, 2 USB ports (1 with Super Charger), 1 DC jack
Wireless                    802.11 b/g/n
Speakers                  Two 3W Stereo Speakers with SRS Premium Sound Technology
Operating System     Linux

Price                         $999 on sale

I've heard it costs $10 per month for tech support for this computer, I've also heard it's mandatory.

My father wants the computer for research. He has only used a computer a handful of times before and those computers ran Windows.

I have an opinion about this computer, but I would like to get more opinions from you all.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

That is too expensive for a computer that runs Open Source Software. Those specs are very poor for the price as well. However those specs are sufficient for "doing research" I recommend you spend 1/3 of the price and get something different with equal performance. If he is a novice user, you should definitely get a Windows PC. You can always add a Linux partition for experimenting

I clicked on the link, it looks very generic. is this from an info-mercial? Never heard of the brand WOW!, I don't trust it. Looks like a hoax to get senior citizens to buy a PC because they are vulnerable as uninformed technology consumers. I just sold a local retired man a laptop for $70, I guess I could have ripped him off if I thought about it. After looking at this site I guess it is legal to rip off seniors.

Edited by scurvychef, 11 April 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#3 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

check this out: (it is half the price)

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/17895945415337651490?q=all%20in%20one%20touch%20screen&hl=en&client=ubuntu&hs=fvM&channel=fs&biw=1301&bih=646&sa=X&ei=4vVmUfamOZDhiwLZ84DIAw&ved=0CMABEPMCMAI

#4 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

Thanks. I thought it was a rip-off. When I called and spoke to the sales rep. she kept getting irritated when I asked her a bunch of questions (like if software could be installed). It made me very suspicious.

I don't know who makes the computer, but a company called FirstStreet sells it. I think they sell overpriced, useless garbage to senior citizens. The ad was in AARP magazine.

I was just going to get a new computer and let my dad use my old one. It's perfect if all he wants to do is research. I don't know why he wants that WOW computer.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:10 AM

Im with scurvy-waaaay overpriced. You can go down to wal-mart, and get a better computer, for a quarter of that.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users