Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU Usage: ntoskrnl

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 David Mooney

David Mooney

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

Hello--

Bleeping computer folks helped me a couple of years ago. I hope someone can assist me this time.

Symptoms: Slow computer, especially noticed when on online. Videos freezing, sites slow to open, etc.

Tracked this to System Idle Process running around around 90% CPU. It jumps around from high 60s to high 90s, but centers around 90%

Installed Process Explorer and found that a thread running behind System Idle Process seems to be the problem, running at 40-50% CPU on each of the two processors. The thread is consistent: ntoskrnl.exe!KiCpu<address>

Poked around and found on various forums that ntoskrnl seems to cause this problem, but the specifics following ! vary. Generally, it seems if I can Identify KiCpu and turn it off, that will solve the problem, but am at a loss of how to do this.

Thanks

David Mooney

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pochsp

pochsp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running:

C:\Windows\system32\wermgr.exe

In some forums, users say this file hogs CPU. My concern: is the file also preventing my apps from starting? Whenever I restart my pc, some of my apps don't start.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

FWIW:  System Idle Process...represents the amount of work your CPU is NOT being asked to perform.  High System Idle numbers...is a good thing, indicating the you still have plenty of horsepower left, the system is not being taxed.

What is the System Idle Process - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_system_idle_process_and_why_is_it_using_most_of_the_cpu.html

Louis

#4 David Mooney

David Mooney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

OK. Then I'm back to square one with a computer that's running very slowly and have no idea where to go from here. I'll check with my Internet provider to eliminate that end of things and start a new post if needed.

Thanks--

--David Mooney

#5 David Mooney

David Mooney
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Just to follow up: As hamluis said, high CPU usage of System Idle Process is not in itself a bad thing, but the thread running behind it might be, and that appears to have been the problem. Here's what I did:

--Downloaded Windows SDK fo Windows 8 (compatible with Windows 7) <msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/hh852363>

--When installing, only activated "Debugging tools for windows"

--In Windows Process Explorer selected Options --> Configure symbols

--Typed the correct path to dbghelp.dll in the path box

--In the Symbols path typed: srv*C:\Symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

This didn't seem to do anything--"Symbols" didn't show up as a folder in C:/ (unless it's hidden), however, the thread behind System Idle Process changed from ntoskrnl.exe!KiCpuld<address> to ntoskrnl.exe!KidleLoop<no address>. I really don't get this, but the computer is running much faster.

--David Mooney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users