Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Cpu...i Think It Crashed, Hacked, Virus. I Don't Know, Help...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 ignorant 1

ignorant 1

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 06 April 2006 - 11:58 PM

Hello, and please don't laugh at me but I don't know where to begin taking action and I hope someone can solve this problem for me.
I have a Dell Dimension 8400, Intel R, Pentium 4cpu 3.00GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM. XP Home Edition Version 2002, SERVICE PACK 2.
First of all, I will say I feel lucky cause anything that might be lost was not of vital importance.
I hade just recieved internet connection and having some fun online gaming my cpu crashed and I now can only operate in safe mode in a desperate attempt to get things back on track. On start up a blue screen appears with some text which indicated me to operate in safe mode. Some research lead me to find out that this is the "blue screen of death", is that so? And if so what can I do to fix this problem, in an attempt to also learn from all this. Please, any suggesion is greatly appreciated. Thank you... :thumbsup:

Edited by ignorant 1, 06 April 2006 - 11:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 12:23 AM

Well, let's get you started on the road to knowledge. First, it would help if you could try to start normally again and then report the actual error. Your "blue screen of death" should be accompanied by an error number, and that can help in solving the problem. Something like 0X00000050.

The next thing that would be helpful is if you can tell us if you have a functional antivirus program, spyware protection, and/or a firewall. It only takes minutes online to become seriously infected.

We aren't going to laugh at you. Everyone has to start somewhere. Once we have some more info on the nature of the problem we can give you more information.

#3 ignorant 1

ignorant 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 01:05 AM

Hi Herk, thanks for the reply.
Here is the technical information you mentioned. STOP: 0X0000000A ( 0X0000001C, 0X00000001, 0X804FAD30 ).
As for firewall and virus protection I was under the impression it was called SYMANTIC, but I now found out that it was in trial and my stupidity and neglegence lead me to proceed without verifying.
The cpu was offered to me at an unrefusable price and it is in excellent condition.
Anyhow, no excuse for the situation and no use complaining.
Your help and patience is appreciated whatever the outcome. God Bless...

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:59 AM

The 'Blue Screen of Death' (or BSOD) is refered to by Microsoft as a Stop Message. In your case you have received a stop message of 0X0000000A, or 0x0A for short.

More info on this particular stop message can be found HERE.

There can be many causes. From the Microsft Knowledge Base:

Typically, this error occurs when a driver uses an incorrect memory address. Other possible causes of this error are an incompatible device driver, a general hardware problem, and incompatible software.

I would be interested in knowing what was going on with this computer that led you to replace the CPU. Was there some buggy behaviour before?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:26 AM

The first step to try when resolving this stop error is to attempt to restart the machine with the last known good configuration. While starting, tap the F8 key repeatedly after the memory check (if it isn't so quick that you can't see it) and choose the last known good configuration choice from the menu that appears.

This is often caused by some kind of third-party sofware or drivers that you installed. It may be that drivers or software are not compatible with your computer's hardware.

#6 ignorant 1

ignorant 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 07:39 PM

Hello again. To answer Frankenstien's question about replacing cpu. I'm confused since I never replaced my cpu. ( I know that cpu is abbreviation for 'computer', am I wrong? ). I'm currently looking into the information on the web site you indicated in your reply and I will be able to offer more info soon.
Hi Herk, I tried setting the last known good configuration, but with no success and I went back a few months just to be thorough, again no luck.
It all began when I started on line gaming. I had no trouble with drivers on this computer for any games whan playing offline and this is what lead me to believe a possible bug or virus.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:16 PM

The CPU is the heart of your computer. It I what all of your information is sent thru. I would go into detail but the definition I provided is better than anything I could hope to write.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 ignorant 1

ignorant 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:39 PM

O.k. so now that I know what cpu is refered to I can definetly say that no changes were made to the cpu. The computer is probably still with it's factory setup and isn't even being used to it's full potential really. A few drivers have been installed as far as I remember : a nokia driver for connecting my phone to the computer and uploading/downloading, and a few games as mentioned earlier. However non have given problems and they have been installed for quite some time now. Thanks Acklan

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 08:53 PM

Have you cleaned, or had the inside of your computer cleaned in the last year? Heat is a big killer of electronics. If you haven't YOU should clean it out. It's not hard but it is vital to th good health of your computer.

Cleaning the Interior of your PC

#10 ignorant 1

ignorant 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:31 PM

With all due respect, but I don't think it's really an issue. The computer is less than 1 year old and was in a very clean environment, however I will look into it and have someone with some experience help me.
What cannot be lost when attacked by viruses? Can viruses damage internal hardware? Also, why does last known good configuration not correct the problem?

Edited by ignorant 1, 07 April 2006 - 10:36 PM.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:46 PM

If you took it the wrong way I apologize. I saw Windows XP ver 2002 and made a bad assumtion it may have been a few years old. I kow nothing about your setup but it is not uncommon for users to set there computer on the ground instead of on a table or shelf. On the ground it will vacum up almost anyting. Remember that computer cases use the heat it's self to help vent the heat away. Draw in cool air from the bottom and vent the hot air out the top. Thermal assist as it may be. On a modern computer you could have as many as 4 fans from the factory inside you case. 2 case, 1 video adapter, and a CPU fan all sucking up everything within a few inches of the vent.

I was just making a valid suggestion. Sorry.

#12 ignorant 1

ignorant 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:54 PM

No please, don't apologize, I didn't take it the wrong way and as I stated I will look into it a.s.a.p. Any suggestions are welcomed. What do you think about going online in safe mode and accepting assistance on-line. You know, the companies who access your cpu and make assessments. Of course it's just a thought, since I will be most likely taking it to a repair centre. But I will attempt every possible solution before doing so. This also to learn more. Thanks

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:06 PM

That is a great idea. I scan in safe mode with networking so I can update my antivirus and antispyware prior to scanning.
Lets go in a different direction. What Antivirus, antispyware, and firewall are you using. Are they up to date?

#14 ignorant 1

ignorant 1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:18 PM

My friend, this is where I screwed up and that's why I feel like an idiot. You see, when I received the computer I made no verifications on antispywares, antiviruses, etc. I was under the impression it had AGV, and SYMANTEC. But I now know they were free trials so basically, none...
If it a virus, what can I do to wipe it out and restart?

Edited by ignorant 1, 07 April 2006 - 11:19 PM.

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2006 - 11:26 PM

First off go to AVG Free Edition Antivirus (at the bottom of the page) and download it to your computer. DO NOT INSTALL IT YET!!
Uninstall both AVG trial and Norton Trial. Whie they will have little effect on stopping virus' they wil wreck havoc on your system. It is a bad thing to have two antivirus programs running on a computer at the same time.
Once they are unistalled then go to the AVG download and install it. Run it as soon as it installs. And update it first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users