I have a Windows 7 SP1 laptop which has had a NetBIOS problem for a long time. TCP/IP and DHCP work ok, so both at home (wireless, DHCP) and at work (wired, assigned IP address) I have internet access. I can remote desktop to the machine. I cannot (and don't think I ever have) been able to properly browse to or from the system, though, via \\computer\share format.
After many sessions working on this, I've narrowed it down to NetBT not being properly installed; I think I might just need help wih that. Here's what I know and have discovered:
- The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service won't start. Error when I try to start it manually is "Error 1075: The dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion.
- The only dependency listed for that service is "Ancillary Function Driver For Winsock"
- when I view hidden devices in device manager and look in Non-Pug and Play Drivers, that device is listed as working properly.
- Event viewer tells me that "The TCP/IP NetBIOS Help service depends [sic] the following service: NetBT. This service might not be installed.
- NetBT.sys was missing from (blah blah)\system32
- elevated command prompt sfc /scannow put the file back
- sc start NetBT yields FAILED 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
- net start NetBT yields The service name is invalid.
I believe all I have left is to figure out how to get NetBT reinstalled. I have registry entries for NetBT and NetBIOS, and suspect that's where the solution lies.
Can anyone help? I really, really, don't want to do a reinstall.